Celtic Park

Next Game

Celtic v FC Astra Ploiesti

Thursday, 23 October 2014, 20:05

Europa League Group D

Last Game

Ross Co 0 - 5 Celtic

Saturday, 18 October 2014, 12:45

Scots Prem

No Saints talks for Wanyama

Celtic star Victor Wanyama is not in talks with Southampton, having already rejected the terms on offer, and he is now awaiting permission to talk to Cardiff City, and any other interested parties, Sky Sports can reveal.

Last Updated: 25/06/13 at 17:21 Post Comment

Victor Wanyama: No longer in talks with Southampton

Victor Wanyama: No longer in talks with Southampton

More of the games that matter

2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers

The brilliant young Kenyan looks set to leave Celtic this summer after they agreed a fee in excess of £12million with Southampton for the midfielder.

Wanyama, who cost Celtic less than £1million when they signed him from Belgian side Beerschot in 2011, is now being tracked by a number of clubs from England and the continent.

However, reports that Wanyama and his agents were locked in talks with Southampton have been denied.

"We are not in talks with Southampton and have not been since their final offer of terms, which was more than two weeks ago," his agent Ivan Modia told Sky Sports.

"The news of the fee being agreed may just be coming out now but we see little sense in a fee being agreed if there is no reasonable prospect of the player's terms being met.

"To suggest we are talking with Southampton is totally false, their offer was way below Victor's expectations. There is no chance of him signing the deal on offer and, in fact, both Celtic and Southampton were informed of this some time ago.

"The player will not be forced into a corner to accept the Southampton deal, just because it is good for Celtic. Remember, he has been with the club for two years now - without a pay rise - and has given them wonderful service ever since he arrived.

"Added to this is the fact that by Celtic refusing him permission to join Queens Park Rangers last summer, Victor lost more than £1m in potential salary earnings - yet he just kept his mouth shut and continued to be a model professional. Many other players may not have adopted this attitude, in the circumstances."

Modia confirmed there was interest from elsewhere, adding: "We know there is interest from elsewhere and Victor is obviously open to those prospects - he is currently back in Kenya and hopes that Celtic will adopt a more reasonable approach and take into account the service that he has given the club so far and the rest of these issues.

"Nobody at Celtic can question his attitude and he is hopeful he can leave on good terms with the club. He loves the club and its fans, he's played his heart out for the jersey....but he didn't quite expect that it may end like this."

Celtic responded to Modia's comments later in the day and defended their handling of the situation.

A spokesperson said: "These negotiations like any others, are carried out by Celtic in a proper, private and professional manner.

"Celtic carries out its business with integrity, we work to the highest standards and in the interests of the club, our supporters and indeed our players. We do not need to comment any further on this matter."

More of the games that matter

2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

F

ergie, aren't you supposed to make a beep beep noise when backing up like that?

simonthfc
Ferguson: Club made Moyes decision

S

ome of these are quality! Why you no like him F365?? :(

left right out
The, Erm, 'Best' Of Henry James Redknapp

W

e're our own worst enemy. We're suicidal in defence, and we may just get slaughtered on Sunday. Other than that, I am very pleased with my team.

bob the manc
Van Gaal: We can catch Chelsea

Footer 365

Fabio Cannavaro under investigation over taxes

World Cup winner Fabio Cannavaro is under investigation over a suspected major tax fraud, Italian police have confirmed.

Premier League: Ron Gourlay stands down as Chelsea chief executive

Chelsea have announced that chief executive Ron Gourlay is stepping down after 10 years on the club's board.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew lifts lid on disastrous start

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew admits he has been finding life tough after a disastrous start to the season.

Mail Box

City: Like A Deer Caught In The Headlights

...while Chelsea just live for Champions League nights. That's one view in a mailbox that also includes several happy football fans and looks forward to Michael Carrick's return...

Are There Any Happy Fans Out There?

It seems as if Chelsea, West Ham and Southampton are the only content supporters right now. We have more doom and gloom for you. Who wants good news, eh..?

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property