Rovers fear transfer embargo

Blackburn could face the possibility of a transfer embargo for failing to comply with the new Financial Fair Play regulations, according to the club's managing director Derek Shaw.

Last Updated: 15/10/13 at 15:08 Post Comment

Blackburn: Could get a transfer embargo imposed

Blackburn: Could get a transfer embargo imposed

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

Last month Venky's London Limited, the parent company for Rovers, posted losses of over £27million with the club's accounts, due later this year, expected to paint a similarly bleak picture.

And, earlier in September, it was revealed Blackburn were far and away the biggest spenders on agents in the Championship as the club struggled to cope with their relegation from the top flight two seasons ago.

Speaking at a fans' forum hosted by BBC Radio Lancashire on Monday night, Shaw revealed that even promotion back to the Premier League could see the club hit with a fine once the new FFP rules come in.

"If we are promoted I think we'll have a substantial fine and, if we're not promoted at this stage, we'll probably have an embargo," said Shaw.

"It's a difficult balance because we've got to try to and change a team around that almost got relegated to a team that we want to get promoted."

Rovers have had a more prudent summer transfer window, allowing high-earners such as Morten Gamst Pedersen to leave on free transfers.

Shaw himself is not a fan of the FFP rules, and added: "It's very difficult for clubs who have come down from the Premier League with quite a number of big contracts that are in place, but we're working on it.

"I think there will be a lot of clubs creating a lot of noise over the next few months because nobody's really been hit with it yet.

"Clubs like ourselves and the Leicesters, and probably clubs like Middlesbrough, who have got big wage bills, won't be wanting transfer embargoes."

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Premier League: Ross Barkley signs new four-year contract at Everton

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has signed a new four-year deal with the club.

Transfer news: Southampton's chairman says Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will stay

Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will not be sold, according to Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger.

Transfer News: Reported Manchester United target Arturo Vidal 'happy' to stay at Juventus

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri is convinced Arturo Vidal will remain with the club for the forthcoming season.

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property