Stamford Bridge

Next Game

Chelsea v Arsenal

Sunday, 05 October 2014, 14:05

Barclays Prem

Last Game

Sporting 0 - 1 Chelsea

Tuesday, 30 September 2014, 19:45

Champions League Group G

Moyes: No change on Rooney

David Moyes has reiterated that Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney is not for sale and is waiting for a response on his bid for Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas.

Last Updated: 19/07/13 at 09:07 Post Comment

Wayne Rooney: Manchester United striker is not for sale

Wayne Rooney: Manchester United striker is not for sale

More of the games that matter

2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers

Earlier this week, it emerged that Rooney has been left feeling 'angry and confused' by his treatment by United after he returned home early from the club's pre-season tour of Asia and Australia due to injury.

Rooney was reportedly unhappy at comments made by Moyes last weekend which have been interpreted as meaning that the England international is back-up to Robin van Persie.

United chief executive Ed Woodward also confirmed there are no imminent plans to discuss a new contract with the 27-year-old, who has two years to run on his existing deal.

Premier League rivals Chelsea subsequently confirmed a bid had been rejected for Rooney and Jose Mourinho stated that the forward is his only striking target.

However, speaking ahead of United's game against the A-League All Stars in Sydney on Saturday, Moyes confirmed the club's stance on Rooney had not changed.

"The club's position on Wayne Rooney is there's no change to that," stated Moyes.

Meanwhile, the United boss also expressed his hope that he is close to making his first signing after a bid was lodged for Cesc Fabregas.

The Premier League champions have also been linked with a swoop for Tottenham Hotspur attacker Gareth Bale and Moyes is keen to add to his squad.

He said: "As far as players are concerned, we're looking to bring some in and we're working hard to do that.

"We're trying very hard to make some additions to the squad and hopefully we'll have some good news in the not too distance future."

Regarding the offer for Fabregas, Moyes added: "I couldn't tell you exactly where we are with that, but I will hopefully know a little bit more in the next day.

"I might have a little bit more information about how it's going."

Woodward left United's pre-season tour ahead of schedule on Wednesday in order to return to Europe to carry out urgent transfer business, with it understood to concern a player arriving at Old Trafford.

He was due to return home on Sunday and his decision to cut short his trip to the Far East indicates the urgency of the situation requiring his attention.

Everton duo Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini have also been strongly tipped to join their former boss Moyes at United, with one offer for the England left-back already having been rejected.

And, while United await Barcelona's response to their bid for Fabregas, there could still be competition to sign the former Arsenal captain.

The Red Devils' opening bid of £25million, communicated to Barcelona on Monday, has sharpened interest from Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City.

For his part, Fabregas has repeatedly said he is happy in Catalonia, and that stance was reiterated by Barca boss Tito Vilanova on Tuesday as he said: "It's normal to receive offers for our players from other teams. We have very good players, and we have to be very happy to have Cesc with us.

"I am conscious that he has received offers for other teams, but I had a conversation with him and he let me know that we wanted to stay here, and his dream is to be successful here.

"So he is not thinking about any other club, not even for money or for minutes, even if he knows all the competition he has here with Xavi, Iniesta and also this year against Sergi and Roberto, but he told me that his dream is to be here. I'm not worried at all."

Red Devils goalkeeper David de Gea, meanwhile, would welcome Fabregas at Old Trafford.

He told the Daily Mail: "He is a great player, very skilful, knows how to win things and you always want those type of players in your team."

More of the games that matter

2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

put Ince in my fantasy football team, so it's no surprise at all really. I do that to players. Also responsible for De Jong and Upson being injured. Think I'll transfer in Di Maria just to ruin United....

megabrow (cufc)
F365's Top Ten Surprise Strugglers

L

ovren? £20m always seemed a touch on the expensive side, but I wasn't expecting him to be quite such a waste of money

stevenjameshyde
F365's Top Ten Surprise Strugglers

H

alf of our players have the physical presence of a 14 year old girl. I don't know why people are always shocked that they're injured.

TheWhiz
Wenger baffled by injuries

Footer 365

Premier League: Sunderland boss Gus Poyet delighted Lee Cattermole stayed at club

Gus Poyet believes keeping Lee Cattermole was the best transfer decision he has made while at Sunderland.

Manchester United news: Rio Ferdinand says he has nothing against 'gentleman' David Moyes

Rio Ferdinand says David Moyes is a "great man" and would welcome a chat with the former Manchester United manager.

Championship: Gianfranco Zola has emerged as favourite for the vacant job at Fulham

Gianfranco Zola has emerged as a leading contender for the vacant manager’s position at Fulham, according to Sky Bet’s odds.

Mail Box

It Was Better When City Were Rubbish

'I think I preferred it when we were s**t' says one City fan in the afternoon mailbox. There's a decent chat about the empty seats plus views on Liverpool and Roma...

Do City Really Need To Expand Their Stadium?

That's the question posed by one Man United fan in the mailbox after seeing the empty seats at the Etihad last night. Sadly, there isn't a single mail from a City supporter...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property