Stamford Bridge

Next Game

Chelsea v Man City

Saturday, 31 January 2015, 17:30

Barclays Prem

Stamford Bridge

Last Game

Chelsea 1 - 0 Liverpool

Tuesday, 27 January 2015, 19:45

Capital One Cup Semi-Final

Alonso agrees Real extension

Real Madrid have ended speculation about Xabi Alonso's future by tying him to a new two-year contract.

Last Updated: 08/01/14 at 20:38 Post Comment

Xabi Alonso: Had been linked with a return to the Premier League

Xabi Alonso: Had been linked with a return to the Premier League

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

The 32-year-old midfielder, whose deal was due to expire in June, had been linked with Chelsea and Manchester City, as well as a return to Liverpool, but will now stay at the Bernabeu until 2016.

"This will continue to be my home for two more years. I am very happy to tell you. Come on Madrid!" he posted on his official Twitter account.

The La Liga side later confirmed on their website: "Xabi Alonso will continue with Real Madrid until 2016."

Alonso's start to the current campaign had been disrupted by a groin injury and a broken bone in his foot but since his return at the end of October, Carlo Ancelotti's side have gone 13 games unbeaten.

The World Cup winner's team-mates Fabio Coentrao, Angel Di Maria and Alvaro Morata have also been linked with January moves but Ancelotti said on Wednesday that movement neither in, nor out was expected.

When asked about the futures of Coentrao - linked with Manchester United - and Di Maria - thought to interest Arsenal - he said: "I've not spoken with them because there's nothing. No-one is leaving and no-one is coming in.

"We have a good squad. We don't need anything."

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

O

ne of the conclusions from this list is that Man City should never buy a striker in January - good luck Wilfried Bony....

Savinator
F365's Top Ten Worst January Panic Buys

I

was there, it was embarrassing - the team looked totally unbalanced from the off, the defence was woeful and when Mikel came off injured it got even worse with nobody in front of them. Up front on several occasions we had opportunities and nobody would shoot - it was a complete farse! On the back of Salah's performance I'm glad there is talk of getting shot...

Fly1ngh1gh
Cup defeat shames Mourinho

G

reat to see Tommy Rosicky getting some love. A wonderful player. Such a pity we lost so long to injury. I was so excited when we signed him, this resurgence only makes the absences seem more of a lost opportunity.

cheshire-gooner
16 Conclusions: FA Cup Fourth Round Weekend

Footer 365

Capital One Cup: Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers says Chelsea's Diego Costa was lucky to avoid a red card

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers believes Chelsea's Diego Costa was lucky to stay on the field in the Capital One Cup semi-final.

Capital One Cup: Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho insists Diego Costa does not deserve retrospective action after Emre Can stamp

Jose Mourinho thinks Chelsea's Diego Costa should be left alone to play football after a controversial outing on Tuesday.

Referee Michael Oliver to make final call on Diego Costa 'stamp' ahead of Chelsea-Manchester City game

Referee Michael Oliver will have the final say on whether Diego Costa is banned for this weekend's game against Manchester City.

Mail Box

The Problem With FA Cup Shocks...

...is that the draw for the next round is pretty shocking. Blackburn v Stoke, anybody? We also have mails on LVG and ManUnited, who drew plenty under Fergie...

You're Man Utd, For Crying Out Loud!

Defending a 0-0 draw with Cambridge on the grounds that other teams lost to lower-league opposition is not befitting of Man United. We're inclined to agree with Mailboxers...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company