Next Game

Thailand All-Stars v Chelsea

Saturday, 30 May 2015, 12:00

Friendly Match

Stamford Bridge

Last Game

Chelsea 3 - 1 S'land

Sunday, 24 May 2015, 15:00

Barclays Prem

Atleti chief rules out Prem trio

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has ruled out trying to sign Fernando Torres, Javier Hernandez or Santi Cazorla this summer.

Last Updated: 31/07/14 at 22:08 Post Comment

Javier Hernandez: Not an Atletico target, says Cerezo

Javier Hernandez: Not an Atletico target, says Cerezo

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Reports in Spain have linked Chelsea striker Torres with a return to his boyhood club - although Blues boss Jose Mourinho on Thursday insisted the 30-year-old would not be leaving Stamford Bridge - while Atletico coach Diego Simeone has admitted he would be keen on bringing Manchester United striker Hernandez to the Vicente Calderon.

Cerezo, however, insists neither player are on Atletico's radar, and has also dismissed transfer speculation regarding Arsenal's Cazorla and Napoli's Jose Callejon.

"Many names have been mentioned, but none of those players, neither Cazorla, Callejon, Torres nor Chicharito (Hernandez) are on our agenda," Cerezo told Radio Marca.

"If we sign another player, it won't be any of them."

The Primera Division champions have endured a busy transfer window this summer, waving goodbye to Diego Costa, Filipe Luis, Thibaut Courtois, David Villa and Adrian Lopez.

Meanwhile, the club have added striker Mario Mandzukic, goalkeeper Jan Oblak, defender Guilherme Siqueira and forward Antoine Griezmann to their squad, with Argentinian full-back Cristian Ansaldi set to be confirmed as an Atletico player in the coming days after undergoing a medical at the club's training ground earlier this week.

Cerezo, however, rubbished reports that Brazilian centre-back Joao Miranda could join Filipe Luis, Courtois and Costa at Stamford Bridge next season.

"I know nothing about that at all, and if I haven't heard about it it's because he's going to stay, I'm almost certain of that," said the president.

Cerezo also hailed the arrival of Griezmann from Real Sociedad for an estimated 30million euros (£24m), insisting that signing the France international was a bigger coup than Real Madrid signing James Rodriguez, the Golden Boot winner at the World Cup.

"Antoine is the most desired player in all of Europe, he has proved that, and he is the signing of the summer," he said.

"He is comparable with players such as Luis Suarez. James is not because he still hasn't had an established career.

"He (Griezmann) is a great signing for the club, and we made a great effort to sign him. Despite having many offers, he decided to join Atletico, which is a huge club."

Speaking at his presentation at the Calderon on Thursday evening, Griezmann said he needed to leave Sociedad, whom he joined as a 13-year-old, in order to grow as a player.

"I needed to jump up a level in order to learn and I knew that the best place to do that was here," said the 23-year-old, who admitted he and the Madrid side had been engaged in a lengthy courtship.

"Atletico have shown an interest in me for a long time and they were very direct when they spoke to me," he said.

"This is a great club, Champions League finalists and the league champions, so I didn't have to ask myself any questions about coming here."

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

A

ll he wants are sharks with frickin lazers on their heads. Is that too much to ask?

mufc phil
Bomb threat on FIFA D-day

W

hy is the dinosaur trying to hold on to this.... Just leave... No one wants you in this position you corrupt loser. Let someone else take over....

arsenal121
Defiant Sepp blames minority

N

ow is the time for Allardyce to finally get a chance at a big club please. He is likely to have a number of great offers for his services this summer, but who will he choose? Will it be Liverpool, Real Madrid, Dortmund or Man City?

medina_sod
Allardyce leaves West Ham

Footer 365

One-time FIFA presidential candidate Luis Figo scathing of Sepp Blatter

One-time FIFA presidential candidate Luis Figo was scathing in his criticism of Sepp Blatter after the Swiss was voted in for a fifth term.

Sepp Blatter will not last two years, says FA chairman Greg Dyke

FA chairman Greg Dyke is not surprised Sepp Blatter won a fifth term as FIFA president but he does not expect him to even last two years.

Gordon Taylor says Sepp Blatter's FIFA position is untenable

PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor does not think Sepp Blatter can see out his fifth term as FIFA president.

Mail Box

Players Must Stand Up For Qatar Boycott

Players, not bureaucrats, hold the key to boycotting Qatar. Also in the afternoon mailbox: Wenger is right to rotate, Zlatan can dribble, and it's Barca v Ajax in the budget final...

What Would You Do If You Were Blatter?

Step into Sepp's shoes, is the invitation from one mailboxer. Also: United already have their new number one, Rodgers deserves time, and the best Budget XI so far...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company