Luiz rejects unsporting claims

Chelsea star David Luiz has hit back at claims of being unprofessional by saying he respects everyone on the pitch.

Last Updated: 14/05/13 at 08:55 Post Comment

David Luiz: Moved to deny claims of being unprofessional

David Luiz: Moved to deny claims of being unprofessional

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson accused Luiz of over-reacting to get Rafael sent off during Chelsea's 1-0 win at Old Trafford earlier this month.

Luiz was seen to smile after being kicked over by Rafael, but the Brazilian claims he was laughing at the taunts from United fans over his likeness to cartoon character Sideshow Bob from The Simpsons.

"I didn't laugh at Rafa, I laughed to the fans, five seconds after the tackle. I laughed before the red card," insisted Luiz.

"I respect everyone on the pitch and I can laugh when the people sing something for me.

"It's better I laugh than cry, no?"

Luiz, who faces former club Benfica in Wednesday's Europa League final, is keen to beat his old side after suffering defeat in two other finals this season.

The 26-year-old won the FA Cup and Champions League in his first full season, but has since suffered defeat in the European Super Cup and the Club World Cup final and he is keen to win more silverware to make amends for this season's disappointments.

"Now is the time to win," added Luiz. "I lost three finals this season, so it is the time to win.

"For me, the Europa League is one more big title. Always I say when you win something and you finish you are hungry again. Last year, I ate beef. Now I have chicken, but I'm still hungry again and want to win more titles.

"It will be a difficult game. A special day for me, special day for my team-mates. I think it will be a strong game for me. It will be a game with a lot of emotion. I just want to win."

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Premier League: Ross Barkley signs new four-year contract at Everton

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has signed a new four-year deal with the club.

Transfer news: Southampton's chairman says Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will stay

Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will not be sold, according to Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger.

Transfer News: Reported Manchester United target Arturo Vidal 'happy' to stay at Juventus

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri is convinced Arturo Vidal will remain with the club for the forthcoming season.

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property