Goodison Park

Next Game

Everton v Liverpool

Saturday, 07 February 2015, 17:30

Barclays Prem

Selhurst Park

Last Game

C Palace 0 - 1 Everton

Saturday, 31 January 2015, 15:00

Barclays Prem

Everton reject £28m United bid

Everton have described a joint £28m bid from Manchester United for Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines as "derisory and insulting".

Last Updated: 21/08/13 at 07:25 Post Comment

Leighton Baines and Maroune Fellaini: United have seen £28m double bid fail

Leighton Baines and Maroune Fellaini: United have seen £28m double bid fail

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

United manager David Moyes is very familiar with England left-back Baines and Belgium midfielder Fellaini from his time at the helm of the Goodison Park side.

And it has long been speculated that he might be keen to take one or both of the duo with him to Old Trafford.

However, Everton are determined to retain two of their most important players and released a club statement which read: "Everton can confirm that it has received bids from Manchester United for two players.

"Those bids were immediately rejected out of hand as derisory and insulting.

"The club did not make public these details as it was vital Roberto Martinez's preparations for the opening game of the Premier League season were not disrupted in any way."

Baines and Fellaini were both in the Everton line-up on Saturday as the Merseyside club began Premier League life under new boss Roberto Martinez with a 2-2 draw at Norwich.

Fellaini was signed by Moyes for Everton in 2008 for £15m, which rose to £17.5m with add-ons.

But it could be argued United are only offering around £16m for the player, considering they have previously had a £12m bid for Baines rejected.

According to reports, Fellaini's contract included a £23.5m release clause, but that expired at the end of July.

Not concerned

Martinez revealed last week: "Marouane had a buy-out clause where it was very straightforward. If someone met that valuation, the club had no say.

"That finished on July 31 so you can imagine during that period everyone was a bit expectant about what would happen. Once that date went, you just focus on working for the next season.

"I'm not concerned at all at the moment (about players leaving).

"The window is open and until it closes you're going to get speculation, you're going to get a lot of talk, not just at Everton. It's the norm."

And the Everton boss also confirmed earlier this month that they had received an offer for Baines, but insisted it fell well below their valuation.

He told the Liverpool Echo: "Before we went to Austria one club officially contacted ourselves with an offer, and it was a final offer.

"They put something over and the valuation wasn't anywhere near the quality of Leighton Baines.

"That was the end of it but since then, there's been all the speculation, which has been part of what the transfer window is.

"There's never been another club or anyone else putting in an offer for Leighton. Since then, we've moved on and we're continuing to focus on the start of the season."

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

S

o Brendan is full of sh!t, who'd have thought it eh?

fatbob30
Carroll accuses Rodgers

P

resumably, you wanted to keep the version of Downing that was never seen at Anfield. The one that another manager has managed to re-create. The one you passed over.

badwolf
Rodgers: I wanted to keep Downing

T

he uber commercialisation of the 90s has led to the point where this overly familar, try hard, jolly hockey sticks type fronts up a major football match on a weekly basis. Unlike the great presenters of yesteryear, I doubt he would even recognise the scent of Brut.

mufc phil
Football On TV: Jake Humphrey

Footer 365

Nemanja Matic says Chelsea happy to maintain their five-point Premier League lead

Midfielder Nemanja Matic was happy to take a point after Chelsea's 1-1 draw with Manchester City.

Roberto Martinez delighted with 'immense' Everton's 1-0 win at Crystal Palace

Roberto Martinez believes his side can now reach their true potential after ending their winless run at Crystal Palace.

Premier League: Chelsea maintain five-point lead after 1-1 draw with Manchester City

Chelsea remain five points clear at the top of the Premier League after a 1-1 draw with second-placed Manchester City.

Mail Box

'Costa Is A Bad Man. Suarez Is Not'

That's quite some claim. And yes, unfortunately we are still talking about this. We also have mails on Ronaldinho, possible replacements for Yaya Toure and more...

Red Mist Better Than Calculated Costa?

Hmmm. We're not sure about this argument - one Mailbox says Luis Suarez is easier to forgive because he is a little loco. We also have mails on Studge and more...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company