Danny Welbeck, Raheem Sterling and Wayne Rooney all vindicated Roy Hodgson's decision to leave Harry Kane on the bench. But you can't keep the man down...
We have 20 questions on Premier League club's famous and not-so-famous No.9s...
* Eugen Polanski made the most tackles (16) of any player in the group stage.
* Robert Lewandowski found a teammate with only 45 of his 71 passes.
*5 ft 9 in Jakub Blaszczykowski won five of his eight aerial duels in Poland's three matches.
* All of Aleksandr Kerzhakov's 14 shots failed to hit the target.
* Andrey Arshavin made seven key passes and registered two assists in the 4-1 victory against Czech Republic, but didn't have a single shot.
* Only two of Russia's 31 shots in their crucial 1-0 defeat to Greece were on target.
* Greece are one of only two teams that failed to catch the opposition offside in the group stage - the other being England.
* Greece made 12 blocks against Russia - equalling the record set by England against Portugal in 2004 and repeated by Roy Hodgson's team in the 1-1 draw with France.
* Giorgos Karagounis was fouled 16 times in his three appearances - the most suffered by an individual player during the group stage.
* Milan Baros has committed the most fouls (14) so far at Euro 2012.
* Czech Republic are only the second team to top a European Championship group despite conceding five goals. The other team was Spain in 2000.
* The Czechs have completed the third most dribbles behind France and Spain.
* Wesley Sneijder made the most key passes (19) and accurate through balls (7) of the group stage, but provided only one assist.
* Holland had 60 shots over their three matches, but only 12 hit the target.
* Holland averaged more possession and a better pass accuracy rate than anyone else in Group B, but still finished bottom with three defeats.
* Mario Gomez was in possession of the ball for just eight seconds against Holland, but used that time to score two goals.
* Germany have conceded the fewest number of fouls at the Euros.
* Lukas Podolski scored against Denmark to celebrate becoming the youngest European footballer (27 years and 13 days) ever to reach 100 caps.
* Ronaldo has taken 22 of Portugal's 51 shots, including 12 in his two-goal performance against Holland.
* Only Ireland (33.3%) have recorded less possession than Portugal (40%) and a worse pass completion rate (71.3%/76.3%).
* All four of Nani's through balls successfully found a teammate.
* Denmark had 60% possession against Portugal, despite losing the match 3-2.
* In the 2-1 defeat to Germany, only one of Niki Zimling's 49 passes failed to reach a teammate.
* Nicklas Bendtner won just six of his 17 aerial duels, but three of those resulted in goals - two against Portugal, and an assist for Michael Krohn-Dehli against Germany.
* Spain have averaged more than 50% possession in 19 of their last 20 tournament matches. The only occasion they recorded less is the Euro 2008 final against Germany.
* Spain set a new European Championship record for most passes in a game with 860 against Ireland.
* Spain have averaged as many through balls per game (18) as 11 of the other countries combined (Portugal, Czech Republic, Sweden, England, Italy, Denmark, Ukraine, Poland, Greece, Croatia, Ireland).
* Antonio Di Natale scored with his first touch to give Italy the lead against Spain after coming on as a substitute.
* Daniele De Rossi averaged more long balls per game (11) than any other player during the group stage.
* Italy and England both averaged of 29% of the match action in their own half. Only Greece, Denmark and Ireland allowed the ball in their half of the pitch for longer.
* Croatia made more fouls than any other team in the group stage (62).
* Mario Mandzukic scored three goals from his five shots in Group C.
* Croatia and Ireland were the only teams not to play a single through ball in their three matches.
* Aiden McGeady made more tackles (9) than any other Irish player.
* John O'Shea completed only 48% of his passes in the first half of the 3-1 defeat to Croatia (Joe Hart's average for the tournament is 48%).
* Robbie Keane was offside (7) more times than any other player during the group stage.
* Ukraine played the most long balls (82) per game in the first three matches.
* Ukraine have the worst shooting accuracy of any team at Euro 2012, with only 18% of their shots hitting the target.
* Yevhen Konoplyanka hit the target with just one of his 13 shots in Group D.
* England's chance conversion rate of 21.7% is the highest of any team in the group stage.
* Steve Gerrard has found a teammate with 14 of his 19 long balls.
* Danny Welbeck, whose pass completion rate during the group stage was 94%, was the first England striker to have a shot at Euro 2012 - 15 minutes into the second Group D fixture against Sweden.
* Franck Ribery, Karim Benzema and Samir Nasri are all in the top six most dispossessed players in the group stage (the other three are Alan Dzagoev, Vaclav Pilar and Georgios Samaras).
* Only four of France's 24 shots against Sweden hit the target.
* Adil Rami has completed a phenomenal 25 out of 26 long balls.
* Anders Svensson made more passes (72) than any other Sweden or England player when the teams met on matchday two.
* Only Croatia's Ivan Rakitic was dribbled around as many times as Kim Kallstrom (7) during the group stage.
* Zlatan Ibrahimovic's spectacular volley against France was his only shot of the match.
Matt Stanger - 63% of his tweets are on Twitter.