At the age of 30 he gave up sales and marketing to pursue his calling as a coach and ended up in the MLS for two years. He's now moved to Seoul to start again...
There are key differences - largely off the pitch - but Liverpool fan Sam Drury has spotted five things that are similar five years on. A big sale, a big Italian arrival...
1) Which two teams from outside the top four have beaten Arsenal this season?
2) Where is Aston Villa's second top scorer Andreas Weimann from?
3) Who was Chelsea's top scorer in their Champions League games with five goals?
4) Against who did Everton score two injury time goals to come from behind and win in December?
5) Who did Fulham beat 5-0 on the opening day of the season?
6) Liverpool are yet to beat a team currently in the top ten, but who's the only team they have beaten who were in the top ten at the time they played?
7) How many points are Manchester City currently worse off than they were at this stage last season?
8) Which player 'could have killed' Robin van Persie just before Christmas?
9) Name Newcastle's 11 French players (one is currently out on loan).
10) Name two of Norwich's three level top-scorers - they have four league goals each.
11) Who have QPR's two league wins been against?
12) Name the only man in Reading's squad with an England cap (he has two of them).
13) Name the 17-year-old who made his Southampton debut on the opening day of this season against Manchester City.
14) Against which team did Michael Owen score his only goal of the season?
15) Where is Stephane Sessegnon from?
16) Swansea have four Welsh internationals in their squad - name as many as you can.
17) Who was sent off shortly after scoring in the north London derby for Spurs?
18) Where is Goran Popov from?
19) Which West Ham player claimed he was 'conned' into signing for the club?
20) Name the Honduran defender/midfielder Wigan signed from Sporting Kansas City in January.
Done? Have a look at the answers here.