Danny Welbeck, Raheem Sterling and Wayne Rooney all vindicated Roy Hodgson's decision to leave Harry Kane on the bench. But you can't keep the man down...
We have 20 questions on Premier League club's famous and not-so-famous No.9s...
NB: A couple of these questions appeared on the F365 Twitter feed this week. If you remember the answers, well done, but if you don't then we trust you not to cheat. Do not let us down.
1) Name the first £1,000 footballer, who moved from Sunderland to Middlesbrough in 1905.
2) Which Spanish player, who shares a name with a current Premier League striker, broke the world transfer record by moving from Barcelona to Inter in 1961?
3) Who moved from Fiorentina to Juventus for a world record fee just before the 1990 World Cup?
4) Diego Maradona broke the world transfer record twice in two years moving from club A to club B, then from club B to club C. Name clubs A, B & C.
5) Real Madrid have broken the world transfer record four times since 2000 - name all four players in question.
6) Which Italian side were the last club not called Real Madrid to hold the world transfer record, when they bought Hernan Crespo?
7) Who was the last English player to break the world transfer record?
8) Name the player who set the world transfer record by moving from Torino to AC Milan in 1992.
9) Which club did Real Betis pay £18.5million for Denilson in 1998?
10) Denis Law was the first British player to be sold for £100,000, in 1961. Who bought him?
11) Name the three players Manchester United have broken the British transfer record for since 1995.
12) Nottingham Forest have been involved in British record transfers twice - one buying, one selling. Name the players involved.
13) Manchester United paid £1.5million then received £1.5million for two midfielders in 1981 and 1984, setting and equalling the British transfer record. Name those two midfielders.
14) Who is the only defender in the last 40 years to hold the British transfer record?
15) Who is the only Scottish club to break the world transfer record?
16) When Trevor Francis became the England's first £1million player, an Italian striker had already moved for £1.75million - name that striker.
17) Between which two clubs did Ruud Gullit move to set the world transfer record in 1987?
18) Who did Bari pay £5.5million for to break the British transfer record in 1991?
19) Teams from which country have broken the world transfer record the most?
20) Name the eight players who broke the world transfer record in the 1990s.
Finished? Have some answers here.