Next Game

Hearts v Arbroath

Thursday, 30 July 2015, 19:45

Scot League Cup First Round

Hearts edge closer to safety

Creditors of Hearts' major shareholder have agreed to transfer its stake to administrators, boosting the club's survival hopes.

Last Updated: 07/04/14 at 18:52 Post Comment

Hearts now need the backing of creditors Ukio Bankas to avoid liquidation

Hearts now need the backing of creditors Ukio Bankas to avoid liquidation

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

UBIG's 50% share will now pass to administrators BDO, who are attempting to oversee the sale of the club to a group of supporters bankrolled by Edinburgh businesswoman Ann Budge.

Talks between BDO and lawyers representing a second significant shareholder, Ukio Bankas, remain ongoing in Lithuania.

No agreement on the transfer of Ukio's 29% stake could be reached on Monday, but Sky sources understand positive talks are continuing and that BDO hope a deal can be done by early next week.

Ukio retain a charge over Hearts' Tynecastle stadium, and an agreement is necessary for the completion of Budge's planned takeover and a gradual handover to the Foundation of Hearts group.

Ukio and UBIG are both in administration themselves, and creditors of Ukio must approve the transfer of shares.

Foundation of Hearts initially suggested a formal creditors' meeting with Ukio could happen as early as Monday, but despite no meeting taking place the prospective new owners gave a positive reaction to the day's events.

Chairman Ian Murray said: "Obviously we are slightly frustrated we haven't got the final result but to get more than halfway there is a big step. Hopefully the fruitful discussions with Ukio Bankas will help its creditors back the deal.

"It's been the UBIG issue that has caused us most concern. So now that is away it's about making sure we get the Ukio Bankas deal done.

"Whilst we are disappointed we didn't get the final piece of the jigsaw done, we are confident we can complete the deal to take the club out of administration in the next couple of weeks.

"You can never say never but we have had the offer on the table for eight months and been preferred bidders since the start of August."

Failure to complete the deal would likely see Hearts' administrators begin liquidation proceedings, as there are currently only enough funds to keep the club operating until the end of April.

The positive news from UBIG came after reports emerged of a rival 11th-hour bid from Edinburgh businessman Pat Munro who has failed in several previous attempts to buy the club in recent years.

But a spokesman for the Ukio bankruptcy administrator, Gintaras Adomonis, said of the offer: "The form and content of it is beyond consideration - all financial proposals should be provided to BDO, the administrator of Heart of Midlothian."

The Foundation of Hearts, which has the financial backing of about 8,000 supporters, plans a gradual takeover by fans after Budge initially put up the £2.5m needed to rescue the club.

Hearts went into administration in June last year with debts of around £30m. They were deducted 15 points and hit with a transfer embargo and were relegated on Saturday despite a 4-2 win over Partick Thistle.

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

t's a bloody good goal, though. Sh!t, the kid's gonna be the worlds best before we know it, isn't he? He's got the touch of genius in him. Like Neymar, but with muscles and stuff. He's doing a Ronaldo as we watch. He's bulked up to be able to ride the tackles, but he's improved technically as well. His touch is sublime. Bugger.

HarryBoulton
WATCH: Hazard's stunning goal

A

hhh, Jose arguing with another managers wife, clearest sign yet that we are going mental during the close season. I am rocking back and forth on my haunches.

hump3.
Jose hits back at Rafa's wife

I

t's only a matter of time before one of them throws in a yo mamma

lee
Jose hits back at Rafa's wife

Footer 365

Chelsea fail with £25m bid for Everton's John Stones

Everton have rejected an improved bid of £25m from Chelsea for centre-half John Stones, according to Sky sources.

Jose: 'Cabaye move makes PL harder'

Jose Mourinho claims the transfer of players like Yohan Cabaye to mid-table clubs makes the PL "very, very hard" to win.

Real reopen talks over £28m De Gea deal

Real Madrid have reportedly reopened negotiations with Manchester United over David de Gea and may complete a deal in the coming days.

Mail Box

Mails: This Is My Perfect Moment

Lots of Mailboxers channel their inner Martine McCutcheon to bring you their perfect footballing moments. Plus thoughts on Blatter, names, and Chelsea worries...

Mails: Let's Talk About Jose's Failures...

We don't talk about them because Chelsea won the title...but imagine if LVG or Brendan Rodgers had signed Juan Cuadrado. Plus, a trawl through the squads...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company