Next Game

Hibernian v Q of South

Saturday, 04 April 2015, 15:00

Scots Champ

Last Game

Raith 2 - 1 Hibernian

Saturday, 28 March 2015, 15:00

Scots Champ

Kane upbeat on Hibs takeover

Paul Kane remains confident that the fans’ group Forever Hibernian stands every chance of securing a controlling share of the Easter Road club.

Last Updated: 10/07/14 at 13:39 Post Comment

Paul Kane: Hopes fans will be successful in taking over Hibernian

Paul Kane: Hopes fans will be successful in taking over Hibernian

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Their first attempt to buy a 51 per cent stake in the Edinburgh outfit was rejected by owner Sir Tom Farmer due to tax and investment complications.

Multi-millionaire Farmer, 73, purchased Hibs 23 years ago but has left much of the day-to-day running of the club to chairman Rod Petrie, who some fans blame for their relegation to the Scottish Championship in May.

However, despite the recent setbacks, Forever Hibernian spokesman Kane – a former Hibs midfielder – strongly believes the group can still be successful down the line.

The ultimate aim of Forever Hibernian is to own a 51% majority shareholding through a membership scheme, while promising to attract finance for the remaining 49%.

Speaking to Sky Sports News, Kane said: “Stage one was to get in dialogue with the club but our first proposal was turned down.

“We’re now at stage two – Tom and Rod want the fans heavily involved in the buying of the club – so we have come up with a scheme for a Hibernian fans’ co-operative.

“The fans will own 51% and other investors will own 49%. And there’s nothing better than fans owning 51% and keeping control of the club – so it doesn’t get into the wrong hands.

“We’ve had a lot of pledges from people who are investors. This is everything lock, stock and barrel, the team, the stadium, everything.

“Sir Tom has kindly told us he wants the community involved and they will want to see people they know and trust – and we’re Edinburgh people.”

But Kane, 49, who played at Easter Road between 1982 and 1990, admits a price has yet to be agreed regarding buying the club.

He added: “We’ve got over the first hurdle so we’re going into dialogue and will probably make an announcement in four or five weeks.

“We’ll spell everything out and make sure we’ve got it right this time. And by that time we hope to have a figure.

“We’re in for the long haul and we will convince the fans at the next press conference. By then the lawyers and financial guys will have had a look at it.

“It will be black and white and transparent and I think the fans will buy into it.

“We won’t run away. We won’t get involved in the football side. We will support Alan Stubbs (the new manager who replaced Terry Butcher last month) to the hilt and we hope he succeeds.

“And when we get in, we will get him where he wants to be, back up in the top division.”

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

S

hould have stayed because we carried him for 6.5 years. And then he has a breakthrough season, and was gone soon after. MU fans, you would be as disgusted had C Ronaldo left in 2007 and not 2009.

godof86
Is Van Persie Slipping Sadly Into The Night?

G

ood grief. Someone guessed that the form English player at the moment might be in his national side with some other players? And that's espionage? Now if they discovered that Emile Heskey was going to be in the starting line up.... at right back.... THAT would be espionage. Give it a rest Roy.

RogerRedHat
Hodgson hits out at Kane leak

H

e may get away with if Liverpool can swap the video with one of Skrtel dancing or something, but if they review the one shown on TV he's screwed.

hump3.
Skrtel denies violent conduct

Footer 365

Italy 1-1 England: Andros Townsend equaliser keeps Roy Hodgson's side unbeaten this season

Substitute Andros Townsend rescued England's unbeaten post-World Cup record as his late goal in Turin earned a 1-1 draw.

Jack Wilshere, Mikel Arteta and Mathieu Debuchy step up Arsenal comebacks

Jack Wilshere scored as he stepped up his comeback from injury against a Brentford XI at Arsenal's training ground on Tuesday.

England's Andros Townsend happy to silence critics with equaliser in Italy

Andros Townsend was delighted to repay Roy Hodgson's faith with the equalising goal as England drew in Italy on Tuesday.

Mail Box

Why Do Arsenal Have So Many 'Internet Warriors'?

The Mailbox has an open letter from Liverpool's Raheem Sterling, questions Phil Jones' bulldog spirit and asks: "Why do Arsenal have so many "internet warriors?"

It's All Just A Ruse By The 'Southern Press'...

A varied Tuesday morning Mailbox, with thoughts on the England U21s, a Sterling ruse, Kane realism, Wenger coaching youth and enjoying the charity match...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company