BARCA DIRECTOR RESPONDS TO CRITICISM

Barcelona deny they could have done more to ensure Pep Guardiola continued as coach.

Last Updated: 14/05/12 at 13:40 Post Comment

Pep Guardiola: Leaves Barca after four years in charge

Pep Guardiola: Leaves Barca after four years in charge

Bet £10 Get £30

Daily Offers And Promotions. Join Now & Bet £10 and Get a £30 Free Bet

Barcelona director of football Andoni Zubizarreta has denied claims by former president Joan Laporta the club could have done more to ensure Pep Guardiola continued as coach at the Nou Camp next season.

Guardiola decided to end his four-year spell in charge after being eliminated by Chelsea in the Champions League semi-finals, with his assistant Tito Vilanova named as the new coach for next season.

However, Laporta, who promoted Guardiola to first-team boss in 2008, told Canal Plus that Rossell had failed to make the necessary guarantees to try to convince Guardiola to stay.

He said, "One of the consequences of the performance of Sandro Rosell's board is to destroy everything that we did in our era. Therefore, it was inevitable Pep Guardiola would walk away.

"I think they could have done more for him to continue in charge.

"My perception is they didn't do what was necessary because they weren't interested in him staying there."

Zubizarreta says Guardiola's own words prove the current Barca board did everything in their power to keep the man who has so far delivered 13 trophies in his tenure, with the Copa del Rey final still to come later this month.

He told TV3: "I am no-one to answer Laporta, but Pep has already said we did everything possible to try and get him to stay.

"Guardiola informed us of his decision on the Wednesday after the defeat to Chelsea. Afterwards there were many meetings, they were hours that seemed like months, until on the Friday morning Tito told us he would take charge."

Zubizarreta also outlined the club's intention to try and protect Vilanova and indicated the new manager will take on far fewer media responsibilities than his predecessor.

"He will constantly be compared to Guardiola but we have to view things as they are, not how they used to be," he said.

"We will help Tito and protect him as much as we can. He will only be responsible for the footballing side of things because he is different to Pep."

The former Spanish international also denied Dani Alves could be on his way out of the Catalan club and that an agreement had been reached with Valencia for the transfer of Jordi Alba.

"Alves is our player," Zubizarreta said. "We renewed his contract a short time ago, last year he appeared irreplaceable and in principle we have no intention of selling him.

"I can flatly deny that we have reached a preliminary agreement or have met with Jordi Alba.

"If there are two clubs I respect they are Athletic Bilbao and Valencia because that is where I played."

However, Zubizarreta did confirm Martin Montoya, Marc Bartra and Marc Muniesa will all graduate to the first-team squad from the Barca B team for next season.

Bet £10 Get £30

Daily Offers And Promotions. Join Now & Bet £10 and Get a £30 Free Bet

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

E

ven if United were to sign CR7 & Messi to play upfront, the fact remains Fletcher and Cleverly are playing in midfield. That's where the problem is. Fletcher is too slow with an awful pass, while Cleverly is simply rubbish

mrunited4life
Di Maria - A Signing of Necessity, or Opportunity?

T

hese days, these days, you can't say something racist without somebody saying that you're a racist.

tk421
'Wrong' Views Not Silenced By Shouting...

D

rop Rooney (he's so disappointing, overrated and overpaid), and play Di Maria and RVP upfront, much like the set up at the Netherlands team with Roben and RVP...

eric bush3
Di Maria - A Signing of Necessity, or Opportunity?

Footer 365

Transfer news: Ajax say Manchester United have not made approach for Daley Blind

Ajax say Manchester United have made "no contact at all" over a possible move for Daley Blind.

Transfer news: Nikola Zigic's agent confirms Arsenal's interest

The agent of ex-Birmingham striker Nikola Zigic has told SPORT that Arsenal have expressed an interest in his client.

Premier League: Crystal Palace unveil Neil Warnock as new manager

Neil Warnock has returned to Crystal Palace after being named as the new manager on a two-year deal.

Mail Box

Should Kagawa Play Ahead Of Mata?

That's one question posed in the afternoon mailbox, although it looks like the Japanese playmaker could soon be on his way. Plus, tipping Palace to go down under Warnock...

Well, This Isn't Going That Well Is It?

Plenty of fall out from Manchester United's shambolic 4-0 League Cup defeat, plus thoughts on Van Persie, Arsenal strikers, Benik Afobe, Celtic and Astroturf...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property