Atletico agree Cerci deal

Atletico Madrid have agreed a deal to sign Italy forward Alessio Cerci from Torino, the Spanish champions have announced.

Last Updated: 31/08/14 at 21:43 Post Comment

Alessio Cerci: Snapped up by Atletico Madrid

Alessio Cerci: Snapped up by Atletico Madrid

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

The 27-year-old Cerci, who had been linked with a move to Arsenal, will pen a three-year contract with Atletico, pending a successful medical.

A statement on Atletico's website read: "Atletico Madrid and Torino have reached an agreement for the transfer of Alessio Cerci to our club, pending a medical and the signing of the contract. The Italy international will be tied to the club for the next three seasons."

Cerci, who has won 13 caps for Italy and was part of the Azzurri's World Cup squad this summer, has recorded 21 goals and 19 assists for Torino in the last two seasons and Atletico sporting director Jose Luis Perez Caminero feels he will be a vital addition to the Rojiblancos.

"The agreement reached with Torino for the transfer of Cerci is a joy for everyone. It was a clear objective to finish strengthening our squad ahead of all the challenges that we have in front us this season," he said.

"We've had to make a big effort after all the operations we've made this summer, but we're convinced it's worth the effort because we consider him a key piece for our team.

"He will contribute speed, goals...He's going to give us more alternatives in our attacking play."

Atletico have undergone a summer of change since winning their first Primera Division title since 1996 last season and also reaching the Champions League final.

The likes of Diego Costa, Thibaut Courtois, Filipe Luis and David Villa have left the club, with Antoine Griezmann, Mario Mandzukic, Raul Jimenez, Jan Oblak and Guilherme Siqueira among those brought in by coach Diego Simeone.

Cerci, who has won 13 caps for Italy and was part of the Azzurri's World Cup squad this summer, has recorded 21 goals and 19 assists for Torino in the last two seasons and Atletico sporting director Jose Luis Perez Caminero feels he will be a vital addition to the Rojiblancos.

"The agreement reached with Torino for the transfer of Cerci is a joy for everyone. It was a clear objective to finish strengthening our squad ahead of all the challenges that we have in front us this season," he said.

"We've had to make a big effort after all the operations we've made this summer, but we're convinced it's worth the effort because we consider him a key piece for our team.

"He will contribute speed, goals...He's going to give us more alternatives in our attacking play."

Atletico have undergone a summer of change since winning their first Primera Division title since 1996 last season and also reaching the Champions League final.

The likes of Diego Costa, Thibaut Courtois, Filipe Luis and David Villa have left the club, with Antoine Griezmann, Mario Mandzukic, Raul Jimenez, Jan Oblak and Guilherme Siqueira among those brought in by coach Diego Simeone.

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

C

isse should have appealed and explained that it was just a retaliation, just like Matic did. Apparently the FA are ok with retaliation.

Triangler
Cisse accepts FA charge

L

ove this guy. He's one of the few surviving players that I remember so vividly from Football Italia and Gazetta on Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons.

HarryBoulton
Francesco Totti - The King Of Rome

T

his is such a non-story it's unreal. I think we all know we are not playing to our potential yet and it hasn't yet clicked properly so he can celebrate or not celebrate all he wants.

GVMUFC
Van Gaal denies Giggs rift

Footer 365

Mesut Ozil defended by Arsene Wenger after Paul Scholes criticism

Arsene Wenger claims Paul Scholes "would have loved to play with Mesut Ozil".

Football Association names Martin Glenn as its new chief executive

The Football Association has named Martin Glenn as its new chief executive.

Arsenal's Gabriel Paulista out for up to three weeks with hamstring injury

Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Arsenal defender Gabriel has been ruled out for up to three weeks with a hamstring injury.

Mail Box

Is Sissoko's Neck Very Distinctive?

Moussa Sissoko features in a really quite bizarre Distinctive Physical Features XI while we have mails on sexism, Angel Di Maria and Francesco Totti. Ramdom.

Have To Trust Managers On Mata

It's all very well bemoaning the lack of action for Juan Mata, but we have to trust the judgement of Van Gaal and Mourinho. Plus Martinez Out, and Leicester are doomed...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company