Bates blasts Leeds situation

Former Leeds owner Ken Bates has told the club's current hierarchy to get "out the way" as the confusing situation at Elland Road shows no sign of abating.

Last Updated: 26/03/14 at 21:32 Post Comment

Ken Bates: Unhappy with the current owners

Ken Bates: Unhappy with the current owners

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Gulf Finance House Capital, who Bates sold the Championship club to in December 2012, is currently looking to find a solution after the man they wanted to sell to, Massimo Cellino, was told he could not complete his transaction by the Football League.

The Italian was found guilty of tax evasion in his home country last week and as such failed the League's owners' and director's test, leaving GFH with a conundrum to solve.

It selected Cellino and his Eleonora consortium as its preferred bidder last month, with the decision coming days after a group consisting of club sponsor Andrew Flowers and current managing director David Haigh fell apart.

Bates has remained in the background since selling the club, but the 82-year-old spoke out on Wednesday, claiming his wife had loaned GFH money and that he had been asked and was willing to join up with Flowers and Haigh's group.

Speaking on Radio Yorkshire, Bates said: "They (GFH) claim to be a multi-million-pound bank, so why did my wife have to lend them £1million this time last year to pay wages? And why are they scrabbling around today to pay the wages tomorrow. It's hand-to-mouth all the time."

Bates' comments about wages come a day after team manager Brian McDermott, in the wake of the 4-1 loss to Bournemouth, suggested his players were worried about being paid this week.

Cellino has been funding Leeds over recent months but has stopped bankrolling the club and it remains to be seen where Leeds' cash is going to come from.

Former Chelsea owner Bates has long been rumoured to be in the background at Elland Road but on Wednesday denied he was going to launch a takeover bid.

He did, however, say he had been willing to put money into Flowers' and Haigh's consortium - a claim which contradicts earlier comments from Haigh that Bates, a divisive figure amongst Leeds fans, was not involved.

"The rumours, I'm afraid, are unfounded," he said.

"Andrew put together a deal with David Haigh, it was agreed with Hisham (Alrayes, of GFHC's parent company) and then Hisham changes his mind and does a deal with this Italian. I'm keeping a close eye on it because I still love Leeds and want them to do well.

"I'd like to see GFH out the way. Somebody, anybody, who takes it over must be better than them.

"It's a secret but I was asked if I would put £1.5million towards Andrew and David's consortium because someone had dropped out. I said yes, but it never happened."

Bates' outburst came after it emerged Cellino, via his London-based lawyers Mischon de Reya, will lodge an appeal against the Football League's decision.

GFH Capital confirmed on Monday that it is still in talks with the Football League and Eleonora Sport in a bid "to find a solution that is suitable to all parties".

There was no comment from GFH Capital or Leeds on Wednesday night.

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

B

enteke is an absolute steal for £32.5m, he would get into any team in the world (except Barcelona) at the moment. I've seen many very good strikers in my 30+ years as a Villa fan. This guy is the best without question.

sparkigol
Benteke's £32.5m release clause

A

ll he wants are sharks with frickin lazers on their heads. Is that too much to ask?

mufc phil
Bomb threat on FIFA D-day

W

hy is the dinosaur trying to hold on to this.... Just leave... No one wants you in this position you corrupt loser. Let someone else take over....

arsenal121
Defiant Sepp blames minority

Footer 365

David Gill confirms he will not take up FIFA executive committee post

Football Association vice-chairman David Gill has confirmed he will not take up his post on FIFA’s executive committee.

Sepp Blatter claims he knows how to fix FIFA after re-election

Sepp Blatter says he knows how to fix FIFA’s broken reputation after a traumatic week for football’s governing body.

Sepp Blatter will not last two years, says FA chairman Greg Dyke

FA chairman Greg Dyke is not surprised Sepp Blatter won a fifth term as FIFA president but he does not expect him to even last two years.

Mail Box

Players Must Stand Up For Qatar Boycott

Players, not bureaucrats, hold the key to boycotting Qatar. Also in the afternoon mailbox: Wenger is right to rotate, Zlatan can dribble, and it's Barca v Ajax in the budget final...

What Would You Do If You Were Blatter?

Step into Sepp's shoes, is the invitation from one mailboxer. Also: United already have their new number one, Rodgers deserves time, and the best Budget XI so far...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company