Etihad Stadium

Next Game

Man City v Liverpool

Monday, 25 August 2014, 20:00

Barclays Prem

Anfield

Last Game

Liverpool 2 - 1 Southampton

Sunday, 17 August 2014, 13:30

Barclays Prem

Atletico vow to keep Costa

Reports in Spain claim Atletico Madrid are determined to keep hold of Diego Costa despite interest from Liverpool.

Last Updated: 07/08/13 at 01:06 Post Comment

Diego Costa: Interest from Liverpool

Diego Costa: Interest from Liverpool

Bet £10 Get £30

Daily Offers And Promotions. Join Now & Bet £10 and Get a £30 Free Bet

Brendan Rodgers' side made a £21.8 million bid for the Brazilian forward last week, but the Madrid club insisted he was not for sale.

Now Atletico's sporting director Jose Luis Caminero has reiterated the club's stance on the 24-year-old, who scored 20 goals in all competitions last season.

Caminero was quoted by Spanish daily AS as saying: "Diego Costa is a very important player for Atletico, we value him very highly and we are convinced that this year he is going to score a lot of goals with Atletico. He is an idol for the fans."

Pressed on whether Costa would stay at the club, he added: "Yes, he's going to continue."

Caminero's comments follow Costa's own declarations that he was intent on remaining at Atletico, who finished last season in third place in La Liga. The club qualified automatically for the Champions League, and won the Copa del Rey, with Costa scoring in the final against rivals Real Madrid.

Speaking at Madrid Barajas airport as the team returned from their pre-season tour of South America, Costa said: "As I've been in Argentina and Uruguay I've not heard anything about this.

"I'm happy here, if the club want me to be here, I'm going to be here.

"I think that the coach (Diego Simeone) counts on all of us, not just me. He knows how important it is to maintain the squad, the fans know it as well."

The club are reluctant to lose Costa after Radamel Falcao, their top scorer last term with 28 league goals, joined Monaco at the start of the summer.

Spain's all-time top scorer David Villa was signed as the Colombian's replacement, while 20-year-old forward Leo Baptistao has joined from Rayo Vallecano.

Baptistao scored a double in Atleti's win over Uruguayan club Nacional in their last game of their tour, but Villa did not travel with the squad due to his participation in the Confederations Cup with Spain.

Caminero explained that 'El Guaje' would need time to return to full fitness and adapt to his new club, but was certain he would be a success.

"He finished the season later than everyone else and he needs a different plan of preparation. As soon as we return to training he will join up and be part of the squad," he said.

"He will have ideal forward partners like Adrian or Diego Costa. We don't need to remind ourselves how good a player Villa is, at international and at club level. I'm sure that his goals will take Atletico as far as possible and we can assure everyone that he has the utmost enthusiasm about the coming season."

Bet £10 Get £30

Daily Offers And Promotions. Join Now & Bet £10 and Get a £30 Free Bet

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

G

reat article. Hits the nail on the head. Encapsulates why I don't read tabloid newspapers anymore. The only thing worse is the 'told you so first' headline when they get lucky.

ianonabeach
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

F

amous. If that can be achieved whilst sitting in your pants and without any degree of hard work, all the better. I have no desire to be famous, but the rest of that line suits me just fine. Great article by the way, well worth the wait.

hunter sanchez
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

T

here seems to be little focus on the performance of Besiktas. They played very well and stopped Arsenal from playing. Credit has to go to their manager. As much as Arsenal didn't play too well, we kept a clean sheet, but the home side made it very difficult.

Geddy76
Chambers' Poise Impresses Again

Footer 365

Transfer news: Marco Reus said to have turned down move to Manchester United

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has told Onda Cero that Marco Reus rejected a move to Man Utd this summer.

Transfer News: Swansea complete deal for Napoli defender Federico Fernandez

Swansea City have signed defender Federico Fernandez from Napoli for an undisclosed fee.

FIFA committee rejects Barcelona's appeal against transfer ban

Barcelona will be unable to sign new players in the next two windows after a FIFA committee upheld their transfer ban.

Mail Box

Mailbox: Feeling Sorry For Poor TC23

If there's one loser in all the machinations at Man United, it's poor TC23. We have mercifully few mails on United, but lots on Arsenal and in particular Olivier Giroud...

Dear Brendan, Please Sign Di Maria

That's the request to Brendan Rodgers in the mailbox, and not just because it would annoy Man United fans. Plus, more thoughts on why Arsenal didn't want Cescy back...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property