St. Mary's Stadium

Next Game

So'ton v Man City

Sunday, 30 November 2014, 13:30

Barclays Prem

Etihad Stadium

Last Game

Man City 3 - 2 Bay Munich

Tuesday, 25 November 2014, 19:45

Champions League Group E

Santos offer Neymar new deal

Santos vice-president Odilio Rodrigues has denied rumours Barcelona have agreed a deal with Neymar and confirmed the club have opened talks over a new contract.

Last Updated: 27/02/13 at 13:48 Post Comment

Neymar: Could extend his contract at Santos

Neymar: Could extend his contract at Santos

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

The Brazilian superstar is one of football's hottest properties and has been linked with a move to some of Europe's biggest clubs in recent months.

Manchester City, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid have all been credited with an interest in the 21-year-old in the past, while rumours suggested Barcelona had come to an agreement to take him to the Nou Camp.

Earlier this month Barca full-back Dani Alves, an international team-mate of Neymar, urged the striker to make the move to the Catalan giants.

Santos have always insisted the forward will remain at the club until at least after the 2014 World Cup, due to be held in Brazil.

The club have now revealed they have opened negotiations over a new extended deal for the forward, playing down the earlier comments by Alves.

"The club's managing committee has already decided, we intend to extend his [Neymar's] contract beyond 2014, we are working to make that happen," Rodrigues told UOL.

"We have already opened talks with Neymar's father, who denies there is any kind of agreement [with Barcelona] and we believe him. He said Neymar will be where he is happy.

"The news from Daniel Alves isn't anything new, Neymar is being sold every day, there is always news that he has been sold.

"They even say that Santos has received some money. It's very common, but there is no negotiation between Santos and any other club."

Brazilian legend Pele has also spoken out about Neymar's future, saying he should ignore any offers from England or Germany.

The three-time World Cup winner believes Neymar's game would be better suited to a move to Spain, with Barcelona his preferred destination.

"The problem is not the city that he goes to, it is where the best conditions for him will be,"said the 72-year-old.

"In England, Germany or Italy the game is harder. The referees are more accustomed to letting the play go on. Barcelona would be ideal for him.

"Santos do need him and for that reason I do not think he should push to leave, but when the time comes for both parties he should only join Barca."

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

sn'tthis strange. Last season we were worried that we were stuck with a Dinosaur in Moyes while Liverpool and Everton were disappearing into the distance with their young, spritely managerts, playing football from heaven. Progressive managers, they said. Managers who understand the modern game.........

HarryBoulton
Rodgers: The pressure's on

B

eing consistently and unrelentingly dog turd really takes it out of you. Try shadow boxing. That's what it's like watching Liverpool, punching thin air.

sinbadsdad
Neville: Reds need a rest

G

ood list, some crackers in there. For me, I'd have had Steve McManaman for Liverpool away at Celtic in the UEFA cup in 1997. I was in the ground that night and everyone kept screaming at him to make a pass, but he just kept going and going and going...brilliant, and in the dying minutes too.

uncle-muller
F365's Top Ten Counter-Attacking Goals

Footer 365

Franz Beckenbauer among FIFA names being investigated by Michael Garcia

Franz Beckenbauer and three FIFA executive committee members are under investigation by ethics chief Michael Garcia.

International football: England up seven places in latest FIFA rankings

England have jumped seven places to 13th place in the latest FIFA rankings following a six-match winning run.

Champions League: Carlo Ancelotti backs Basle against Liverpool

Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti expects Basle to avoid defeat against Liverpool and join them in the second round.

Mail Box

Makes Sense To Make Gerrard Liverpool Manager

That's the thoughts of one Mailboxer, who wants Jamie Carragher as defensive coach. Plus views on Arsenal, Malmo v Juventus, Alexis Sanchez & tremendous improvement...

Mails: Quit Massaging Mourinho's Ego

That's the message from the afternoon mailbox after it was claimed that the Chelsea boss has transformed Cesc Fabregas into a complete player. Plus, more on Arsenal...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property