Anfield

Next Game

Liverpool v Man City

Thursday, 31 July 2014, 00:00

Friendly Match

Last Game

Man City 5 - 1 AC Milan

Sunday, 27 July 2014, 21:00

Friendly Match

Negredo unfazed by Costa call

Manchester City striker Alvaro Negredo is ready to fight for his place in Spain's World Cup squad after Vincente del Bosque called up Diego Costa for the international friendlies against Equatorial Guinea and South Africa.

Last Updated: 08/11/13 at 17:23 Post Comment

Alvaro Negredo: Ready to fight for his place in the Spain squad

Alvaro Negredo: Ready to fight for his place in the Spain squad

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

Brazilian-born Costa chose to represent Spain ahead of native land in a move which caused controversy in South America in September.

The Atletico Madrid forward has netted 13 goals so far this season, putting him on level terms with Cristiano Ronaldo at the head of the La Liga goal-scorers.

However Negredo, who himself has four Premier League goals this term, is undeterred by the inclusion of Costa and insist he has no fear he will be in Rio next summer.

"I have to do my job, he will do his, and it is up to the coach," Negredo told El Desmarque Radio.

"I have all the respect in the world for Diego Costa, but I am not scared of anything."

"The one with the problem is the manager, Vicente del Bosque.

"I do not feel like the undisputed starter. The number nine spot in the Spain team is a difficult one, given all of the debate there is, the excellent form the strikers are displaying and the great number of them to choose from."

The addition of Costa provides options for Del Bosque and the manager plans to explore all avenues in the months leading up to the World Cup.

"He is playing very well, and finds himself in peak form," the coach explained.

"Now, he is another option. Diego Costa does not take away, he is a plus. It is obvious we have made efforts to bring him to us.

"Credit is not limitless for anyone, but from here until March we have time to see how things pan out. He is under the same conditions as the rest."

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Premier League: Ross Barkley signs new four-year contract at Everton

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has signed a new four-year deal with the club.

Transfer news: Southampton's chairman says Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will stay

Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will not be sold, according to Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger.

Transfer News: Reported Manchester United target Arturo Vidal 'happy' to stay at Juventus

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri is convinced Arturo Vidal will remain with the club for the forthcoming season.

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property