Stamford Bridge

Next Game

Chelsea v Man City

Saturday, 31 January 2015, 17:30

Barclays Prem

Etihad Stadium

Last Game

Man City 0 - 2 M'boro

Saturday, 24 January 2015, 15:00

The FA Cup Fourth Round

Pellegrini: Ban was too harsh

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has hit back at UEFA by claiming his two-match touchline ban was excessive.

Last Updated: 07/03/14 at 15:10 Post Comment

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Pellegrini was hit with the sanction - with a further one game suspended - after criticising referee Jonas Eriksson for his display in City's 2-0 Champions League defeat to Barcelona at the Etihad last month.

The Chilean claimed some of the official's decisions were 'not impartial', before questioning why a referee from Sweden had been appointed to such a high-profile fixture.

The main source of his ire was the dismissal of defender Martin Demichelis, who was shown a red card for a last-man challenge on Lionel Messi, a tackle which resulted in the spot-kick which allowed the Argentine to open the scoring.

The suspension means Pellegrini, who claimed the challenge was outside the box, is not allowed to make contact with his players or coaching staff before or during the second leg of next week's return leg at the Nou Camp.

"I don't think I deserve three games or two games," said Pellegrini, who has been permitted to watch the game from the stands.

"I said two days after in my press conference that I was wrong in the way I did it but I continue saying that it was not a penalty and that it decided the game, in a bad day (for the referee).

"But I don't want to continue and, if they decide that is the punishment for me, I will see what I am going to do in future."

Meanwhile, he has rubbished suggestions of any disquiet within his squad after he fielded a starting XI with no English players in last week's Capital One Cup final win over Sunderland.

Micah Richards, Joleon Lescott and Jack Rodwell have all struggled to hold down a place in his team while Joe Hart and James Milner, who are used more regularly, both sat out the Wembley showpiece.

"I don't know what the speculation is. I think that in every game I try to make the 11 starters that I think are better for that game. The same the whole year," he said.

"In this case there may be a casualty who did not play in the 11 that started but I think all of them are very important for the squad.

"I don't think they have any problems. They feel an important part of what we have done so far and they will be important in the future from now until the end of the season."

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

T

he uber commercialisation of the 90s has led to the point where this overly familar, try hard, jolly hockey sticks type fronts up a major football match on a weekly basis. Unlike the great presenters of yesteryear, I doubt he would even recognise the scent of Brut.

mufc phil
Football On TV: Jake Humphrey

H

opefully Jose turns up to the game wearing a T-Shirt with Costa's face on, that's the classy thing to do in these situations right?

Petulant_Radish
Costa loses appeal against ban

C

onfirmed. Nick Miller is a douche bag. Lazy, incoherent rant is what this article should be titled. And for the editor to have the temerity to pass this as acceptable writing is shocking. Ah well, anything for clicks right? You got mine. Well done. Your mother must be proud.

poolshortsdown
Gerrard Constantly Searching For That Final Hurrah

Footer 365

Cristiano Ronaldo admits he made a mistake against Cordoba, says Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti

Cristiano Ronaldo knows he made a mistake against Cordoba and accepts his two-game ban, according to Carlo Ancelotti.

David Ginola no longer challenger to Sepp Blatter for FIFA presidency

David Ginola has confirmed his withdrawal as a candidate to take on Sepp Blatter for the position of FIFA president.

Jack Cork will be great add for Swansea says manager Garry Monk

Garry Monk feels Swansea's midfield will be much improved by the impending signing of Southampton's Jack Cork.

Mail Box

'Costa Is A Bad Man. Suarez Is Not'

That's quite some claim. And yes, unfortunately we are still talking about this. We also have mails on Ronaldinho, possible replacements for Yaya Toure and more...

Red Mist Better Than Calculated Costa?

Hmmm. We're not sure about this argument - one Mailbox says Luis Suarez is easier to forgive because he is a little loco. We also have mails on Studge and more...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company