The King Power Stadium

Next Game

Leicester v Man Utd

Sunday, 21 September 2014, 13:30

Barclays Prem

Old Trafford

Last Game

Man Utd 4 - 0 QPR

Sunday, 14 September 2014, 16:00

Barclays Prem

Fan facing ban for derby storm

The Manchester City fan who ran on to the pitch and tried to confront Rio Ferdinand is facing a lifetime ban and has had his season ticket removed despite an apology.

Last Updated: 10/12/12 at 16:12 Post Comment

Joe Hart: Intervened as Matthew Stott confronts Rio Ferdinand

Joe Hart: Intervened as Matthew Stott confronts Rio Ferdinand

More of the games that matter

2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers

Matthew Stott had to be restrained by Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart before being arrested and subsequently charged with pitch encroachment following Robin van Persie's late winner for Manchester United at the Etihad Stadium.

City have confirmed the 21-year-old has had his season ticket removed for the rest of the season as a result and faces a lifetime ban if found guilty in court of a charge of pitch encroachment.

Stott had earlier on Monday issued an apology, speaking through his solicitors - Stephen Lickrish and Associates - he said sorry to United defender Ferdinand for his incursion onto the playing surface.

The landscape gardener, from Knutsford, said: "I would like to apologise to all those affected by my actions yesterday, particularly Mr Ferdinand and the other players.

"I am extremely ashamed of my actions. I have let myself down, my family down, my fellow fans down and Manchester City Football Club.

"I intend to write personally to Mr Ferdinand to express my extreme regret and apologies and also apologise to Manchester United and their fans.

"I would like to thank Joe Hart for his actions when I came on the pitch.

"I have been a fan of Manchester City Football Club all my life and I have been a season ticket holder for three years and I attend the games with my father. I have had the same seat in the section next to the away fans for those three years."

Rebecca Caulfield, solicitor at Stephen Lickrish & Associates, is representing Stott.

She said: "Mr Stott is a hard-working man who has held a full-time job as a landscape gardener for four years and lives with his partner of five years.

"He has never been to court before and has never been in trouble with any of the stewards at Manchester City Football Club before, or at any other ground.

"He is extremely remorseful and is mortified by his behaviour, which is completely out of character.

"This was a momentary mistake by Mr Stott, which has led to him being charged, brought shame on his family, and will bring sanctions on the club that Mr Stott has supported all his life.

"Mr Stott will accept the consequences of his actions."

Don't miss any live and exclusive football coverage this festive season. Click here to visit Sky Sports' Festive Calendar

More of the games that matter

2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

H

ilarious, thanks for that. But if I may, I do suspect the reason of your partners' ire is not Tottenham, but most probably all the compusilve gambling :)

DannySmith
Backing Costa To Keep Banging 'Em In

T

wo police horses in a paddock. Horse 1: What's with the long face? Horse 2: I'm working St James Park this weekend.

hump3.
Pardew - It's mass hysteria

T

wo things. First, I can't stop reading your name as 'Dane Bowers'. Second, you used the words 'philosophy' and 'Redknapp' in the same sentence.

ajsr1982
Can United's Defence Handle Ulloa?

Footer 365

Premier League: Man City manager Manuel Pellegrini not concerned by Yaya Toure's form

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has no concerns over the form or commitment of midfielder Yaya Toure.

Transfer news: Chelsea's Jose Mourinho plays down Cristiano Ronaldo transfer talk

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has played down speculation about signing Cristiano Ronaldo.

Euro 2020: Wembley decision 'an honour' says England boss Roy Hodgson

Roy Hodgson has described the decision to choose Wembley as the primary host venue for Euro 2020 as an "honour".

Mail Box

Be Careful What You Wish For, Gooners

That's the message from a Man United fan in the mailbox. Plus, thoughts on Paul Lambert's new contract, the Alan Pardew dilemma at Newcastle and lots more...

No, Wenger IS To Blame For Failure...

The backlash to the backlash to the backlash sees Arsene Wenger getting a good kicking while we also have mails on Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton and lots more...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property