Old Trafford

Next Game

Man Utd v Arsenal

Monday, 09 March 2015, 19:45

The FA Cup Quarter-Final

St James' Park, Newcastle

Last Game

Newcastle 0 - 1 Man Utd

Wednesday, 04 March 2015, 19:45

Barclays Prem

Martinez: No Baines movement

Everton boss Roberto Martinez says the 'one club' chasing Leighton Baines have made no fresh approach for the England full-back.

Last Updated: 15/08/13 at 09:58 Post Comment

Leighton Baines: The subject of one formal offer, which was knocked back

Leighton Baines: The subject of one formal offer, which was knocked back

The 'club' in question are reported to be Manchester United, with David Moyes having returned to his former employers shortly after heading for Old Trafford in an effort to land one of the Premier League's most consistent performers.

Martinez admits a formal offer was tabled, but says the interested party made it clear that they were reluctant to be drawn into lengthy negotiations.

With Everton having rebuffed the approach, there has been no further movement on the transfer front.

Speculation continues to suggest that Baines could be targeted before the summer window closes, but Martinez insists there is nothing in the reports at present and maintains that the 28-year-old defender will form part of his plans heading forward.

Martinez told the Liverpool Echo: "Before we went to Austria one club officially contacted ourselves with an offer, and it was a final offer.

"They put something over and the valuation wasn't anywhere near the quality of Leighton Baines.

"That was the end of it but since then there's been all the speculation, which has been part of what the transfer window is.

"There's never been another club or anyone else putting in an offer for Leighton. Since then we've moved on and we're continuing to focus on the start of the season."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

m not sure about this distance covered malarky, plus that stat comes with *since February attached to it, that's just 1 month. I mean I have 27 open cases I'm 'working on' at the moment but believe me others with 10 cases work harder than I do. I just got back from a pub lunch, scampi and chips (+4 pints) in case you were wondering.

hurler
Wenger defends Ozil

C

isse should have appealed and explained that it was just a retaliation, just like Matic did. Apparently the FA are ok with retaliation.

Triangler
Cisse accepts FA charge

L

ove this guy. He's one of the few surviving players that I remember so vividly from Football Italia and Gazetta on Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons.

HarryBoulton
Francesco Totti - The King Of Rome

Footer 365

Mesut Ozil defended by Arsene Wenger after Paul Scholes criticism

Arsene Wenger claims Paul Scholes "would have loved to play with Mesut Ozil".

Football Association names Martin Glenn as its new chief executive

The Football Association has named Martin Glenn as its new chief executive.

Manchester United's Jonny Evans denies spitting charge after incident with Papiss Cisse

Manchester United's Jonny Evans has denied the FA's spitting charge following the incident with Newcastle's Papiss Cisse.

Mail Box

Why All The Hate For Robin Van Persie?

One Mailboxer can't work out why everyone is having a pop at Robin van Persie. Plus FA Cup anticipation, changing relegation, a Friday song and more Totti love...

Is Sissoko's Neck Very Distinctive?

Moussa Sissoko features in a really quite bizarre Distinctive Physical Features XI while we have mails on sexism, Angel Di Maria and Francesco Totti. Ramdom.

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company