Fresh bidder for Portsmouth

A consortium featuring former Football League chairman Keith Harris has submitted an offer to buy Portsmouth.

Last Updated: 07/02/13 at 18:58 Post Comment

Portsmouth: Battle for club due to arrive back in High Court on 14 February

Portsmouth: Battle for club due to arrive back in High Court on 14 February

Administrators PFK confirmed the new development a week before a High Court hearing due to determine whether the League One club can be sold to the Portsmouth Supporters' Trust.

The new consortium, fronted by Harris, investment banker Pascal Najadi and professional investor Alan Hitchins, says it is willing to offer the PST "a stakeholding and participation" if its bid is successful.

And Harris told Sky Sports News the "cash offer" - yet to be presented to the Football League - would leave the club debt-free and include the option to purchase Fratton Park from previous owners Portpin.

He said: "There would be neither legacy debt nor debt in our financing to acquire the club. It does not require a court hearing or anything else - it's straightforward, cash on the nail to buy the club.

"There will be no ongoing involvement by any previous owners. The transaction involves, initially, the leasing of Fratton Park but we've also entered into an agreement to acquire Fratton Park.

"That is our option, and the likelihood is it would be exercised at a very early stage."

The sale of Fratton Park, held as security by Portpin, has long been the major obstacle to the PST's proposed takeover.

Named as preferred bidder last year, the PST has been unable to agree a deal for the stadium and hopes the High Court hearing - three times adjourned already and now set for 14 February - will force Portpin to lower its asking price.

But the new offer has already been deemed "worthy of consideration" by PFK, and partner Trevor Birch said: "This offer could be completed without the need for a court case.

"We will need to discuss the terms of the deal with the PFA and the Football League and also plan to consult the creditors' committee as a matter of urgency. We will provide an update as soon as we have further news."

To find out more about live football on Sky Sports, Click here

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

C

isse should have appealed and explained that it was just a retaliation, just like Matic did. Apparently the FA are ok with retaliation.

Triangler
Cisse accepts FA charge

L

ove this guy. He's one of the few surviving players that I remember so vividly from Football Italia and Gazetta on Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons.

HarryBoulton
Francesco Totti - The King Of Rome

T

his is such a non-story it's unreal. I think we all know we are not playing to our potential yet and it hasn't yet clicked properly so he can celebrate or not celebrate all he wants.

GVMUFC
Van Gaal denies Giggs rift

Footer 365

Mesut Ozil defended by Arsene Wenger after Paul Scholes criticism

Arsene Wenger claims Paul Scholes "would have loved to play with Mesut Ozil".

Football Association names Martin Glenn as its new chief executive

The Football Association has named Martin Glenn as its new chief executive.

Arsenal's Gabriel Paulista out for up to three weeks with hamstring injury

Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Arsenal defender Gabriel has been ruled out for up to three weeks with a hamstring injury.

Mail Box

Is Sissoko's Neck Very Distinctive?

Moussa Sissoko features in a really quite bizarre Distinctive Physical Features XI while we have mails on sexism, Angel Di Maria and Francesco Totti. Ramdom.

Have To Trust Managers On Mata

It's all very well bemoaning the lack of action for Juan Mata, but we have to trust the judgement of Van Gaal and Mourinho. Plus Martinez Out, and Leicester are doomed...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company