Moyes: No new deal decision

Everton manager David Moyes says he will wait until the summer before deciding on his future.

Last Updated: 15/02/13 at 15:30 Post Comment

The 49-year-old's current contract at Goodison Park expires at the end of the season and speculation is intensifying about his long-term future.

Ahead of Saturday's FA Cup fifth-round tie with Oldham, Moyes admitted he had spoken with Toffees chairman Bill Kenwright but he has no plans to decide anything until the current campaign is over.

"I've spoken with the chairman and I want to see how the team do," he said.

"I want to see how we do in the cups and the league and it is more than likely that I won't make a decision until the end of the season.

"You can ask me every week but I will probably give you the same answer."

Next month marks the 11th anniversary of Moyes leaving Preston to begin his reign at Everton, with his tenure regarded as a success despite him not having won a trophy during his time with the club.

The Toffees are enjoying a good season, and are in contention to qualify for the UEFA Champions League for the second time under Moyes' management after their debut in the competition in 2005/06.

Having only lost four games and taking 42 points from 26 matches so far this season, the Toffees are sixth in the Premier League table.

Howard

Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard earlier stressed the importance of Moyes staying with the club, but he insists that it should not be the concern of the players.

"The manager he needs to stay, everyone knows that," he told Sky Sports.

"It is no secret but that is an outside issue and that doesn't concern, currently, the players.

"We have to focus on the task and that is playing and performing, and he focusses on getting us ready for the games and performing and it [his future] is not something he talks about and we just get on with it."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

was there, it was embarrassing - the team looked totally unbalanced from the off, the defence was woeful and when Mikel came off injured it got even worse with nobody in front of them. Up front on several occasions we had opportunities and nobody would shoot - it was a complete farse! On the back of Salah's performance I'm glad there is talk of getting shot...

Fly1ngh1gh
Cup defeat shames Mourinho

G

reat to see Tommy Rosicky getting some love. A wonderful player. Such a pity we lost so long to injury. I was so excited when we signed him, this resurgence only makes the absences seem more of a lost opportunity.

cheshire-gooner
16 Conclusions: FA Cup Fourth Round Weekend

A

pparently Chiles has blamed Twitter trolls for his exit. Proof that even the worst things can get great results at times.

cheshire-gooner
Adrian Chiles to leave ITV

Footer 365

Leyton Orient part company with sporting director Mauro Milanese

League One club Leyton Orient have parted company with sporting director Mauro Milanese, according to Sky sources.

International: Former Argentina, Boca, Barcelona, Villareal midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme retires

Former Argentina international Juan Roman Riquelme has retired from football at the age of 36.

Cambridge United chairman Dave Doggett to invest money from Manchester United tie in improving stadium

Cambridge United chairman Dave Doggett will invest revenue from the FA Cup replay at Manchester United in the stadium.

Mail Box

You're Man Utd, For Crying Out Loud!

Defending a 0-0 draw with Cambridge on the grounds that other teams lost to lower-league opposition is not befitting of Man United. We're inclined to agree with Mailboxers...

A Massive Mailbox On A Weekend Of Wonder

We unsurprisingly have plenty of mails on a wonderful FA Cup weekend, including thoughts on Palace, Van Gaal, Phil Jones, Chelsea, Mourinho and Yaya Toure...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company