Green rubbishes Whyte claims

Rangers chief executive Charles Green has released a lengthy statement refuting a series of claims made by the club's former owner Craig Whyte.

Last Updated: 05/04/13 at 21:22 Post Comment

Whyte says that he still has a claim to the club's assets and that he was behind the consortium, headed by Green, which took over the club, with Green merely acting as a front man.

Green then transferred the assets - which were bought for £5.5m in June last year - to a different company called Sevco Scotland, which then became The Rangers Football Club.

But Whyte is apparently arguing that such a transfer is illegal and has threatened legal action against Green and former Rangers director Imran Ahmad.

Rangers manager Ally McCoist has called for Green to answer the claims and the chief executive duly released a statement on Friday night saying Whyte was fed the information he wanted to hear in order to secure the deal.

Green said: "Once again Craig Whyte has made serious allegations against the people who have committed themselves to rebuilding a Scottish institution which, almost single-handedly, he dragged towards the brink of oblivion.

"These are distorted and malicious allegations coming from a man who is completely discredited and now under police investigation.

"It must be stressed that, no matter what Mr Whyte believes, there was never any possibility of him being involved with us in the ownership of this club and there was most certainly never any intention to pay him anything.

He could not be more wrong

"He claims I was his front man. He could not be more wrong. With 8%, I am the major shareholder in Rangers FC and I have no tie-in of any kind with Mr Whyte.

"He was never going to become an associate and never will. He has no right to any claim on Rangers FC, its shares or assets.

"It is alleged there is a letter which agrees Mr Whyte and a business partner of his, Aidan Earley, would have a majority shareholding in Sevco 5088. If there is, it was not signed or endorsed by me. Perhaps Mr Whyte would be good enough to send me a copy.

"Yes, Mr Whyte was told what he wanted to hear, but there was never any likelihood of him becoming involved again.

"If he wants to go to court we would be delighted to see him there. It is a shame Mr Whyte keeps trying to destabilise the club he very nearly destroyed."

McCoist had said earlier: "Without doubt, the real people I feel sorry for are the supporters.

"Just when they seem to be getting a bit of clarity, something else comes out of left field. I would be very hopeful that our supporters can get the answers they deserve."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

O

ne of the conclusions from this list is that Man City should never buy a striker in January - good luck Wilfried Bony....

Savinator
F365's Top Ten Worst January Panic Buys

I

was there, it was embarrassing - the team looked totally unbalanced from the off, the defence was woeful and when Mikel came off injured it got even worse with nobody in front of them. Up front on several occasions we had opportunities and nobody would shoot - it was a complete farse! On the back of Salah's performance I'm glad there is talk of getting shot...

Fly1ngh1gh
Cup defeat shames Mourinho

G

reat to see Tommy Rosicky getting some love. A wonderful player. Such a pity we lost so long to injury. I was so excited when we signed him, this resurgence only makes the absences seem more of a lost opportunity.

cheshire-gooner
16 Conclusions: FA Cup Fourth Round Weekend

Footer 365

Capital One Cup: Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers says Chelsea's Diego Costa was lucky to avoid a red card

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers believes Chelsea's Diego Costa was lucky to stay on the field in the Capital One Cup semi-final.

Capital One Cup: Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho insists Diego Costa does not deserve retrospective action after Emre Can stamp

Jose Mourinho thinks Chelsea's Diego Costa should be left alone to play football after a controversial outing on Tuesday.

Referee Michael Oliver to make final call on Diego Costa 'stamp' ahead of Chelsea-Manchester City game

Referee Michael Oliver will have the final say on whether Diego Costa is banned for this weekend's game against Manchester City.

Mail Box

'Diego Costa Is A Thug.' Sore Losers..?

There is plenty of fallout from Diego Costa's stamps of authority on Tuesday's League Cup semi-final. Plus Blatter, Rodgers' substitutions and stretching the transfer truth...

The Problem With FA Cup Shocks...

...is that the draw for the next round is pretty shocking. Blackburn v Stoke, anybody? We also have mails on LVG and ManUnited, who drew plenty under Fergie...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company