Barcelona close in on Suarez

Luis Suarez's move from Liverpool to Barcelona could be completed before the end of the weekend, Sky sources understand.

Last Updated: 04/07/14 at 22:21 Post Comment

Talks between the clubs are ongoing, with only the fee for the striker's services the wrangling point.

Liverpool are holding out for £80m for their star forward - a sum that would activate a release clause in his contract - while Barcelona hope to lure him for a figure in the region of £60m.

FIFA have already confirmed that Suarez will be allowed to have a medical ahead of a transfer, despite receiving a four-month ban from football.

The 27-year-old left the World Cup in disgrace after biting opponent Giorgio Chiellini during Uruguay's group defeat to Italy.

But an eventual apology for his latest indiscretion has smoothed the way for a switch to Spain and Barcelona's sporting director, Andoni Zubizarreta, publicly backed the striker earlier this week.

"Suarez had the honour to come out and apologise for his actions and now it's time for him to begin the recovery process," Zubizarreta said.

On Wednesday evening a Liverpool source confirmed: “The talks held today were productive, there are sensible expectations on both sides. Further talks and discussions are to take place, but nothing is finalised as of now."

Sky Sports' Spanish football pundit Guillem Balague believes Suarez had to apologise in order to secure his dream move to Barcelona.

"Barcelona wanted Luis Suarez to apologise," he said. "It is also part of an appeal that will surely reduce his ban.

"I realise many people feel cheated as he has apologised before. Biting shouldn't be done but can be corrected and Chiellini has accepted the apology, so who are we not to do the same?"

The future of Barcelona forward Alexis Sanchez is also believed to remain on the agenda, but it is understood the Chile forward will not be used as a makeweight and that any deal would be brokered separately.

You'll be able to watch Liverpool and Barcelona in Champions League action next season on Sky Sports 5 - the new home of European football. Activate now

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

H

ilarious, thanks for that. But if I may, I do suspect the reason of your partners' ire is not Tottenham, but most probably all the compusilve gambling :)

DannySmith
Backing Costa To Keep Banging 'Em In

T

wo police horses in a paddock. Horse 1: What's with the long face? Horse 2: I'm working St James Park this weekend.

hump3.
Pardew braced for protests

T

wo things. First, I can't stop reading your name as 'Dane Bowers'. Second, you used the words 'philosophy' and 'Redknapp' in the same sentence.

ajsr1982
Can United's Defence Handle Ulloa?

Footer 365

Premier League: Queens Park Rangers draw 2-2 with Stoke at Loftus Road

Niko Kranjcar’s late free-kick secured QPR a 2-2 draw at home to Stoke to spoil Mark Hughes’ return to Loftus Road.

Premier League: Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal wary over a lack of European football

Louis Van Gaal believes a lack of Champions League football this season could damage Manchester United’s title hopes.

Premier League: Man City manager Manuel Pellegrini not concerned by Yaya Toure's form

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has no concerns over the form or commitment of midfielder Yaya Toure.

Mail Box

Be Careful What You Wish For, Gooners

That's the message from a Man United fan in the mailbox. Plus, thoughts on Paul Lambert's new contract, the Alan Pardew dilemma at Newcastle and lots more...

No, Wenger IS To Blame For Failure...

The backlash to the backlash to the backlash sees Arsene Wenger getting a good kicking while we also have mails on Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton and lots more...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property