Redknapp begins his reign at Loftus Road with the R's rooted to the bottom, without a league win, and he believes his side must take responsibility for the dismal form that led to Mark Hughes' sacking last week.
QPR slumped to a 3-1 defeat at Manchester United on Saturday, despite taking the lead, but Redknapp insists spirit is still high and he wants his squad to pull together in the coming weeks as they try to climb out of trouble.
"The lads I met yesterday were all upbeat," he told Sky Sports News. "They have got to realise they are in this position because they have not really performed to their capabilities at the moment.
"They've lost a good manager in Mark Hughes, he's been unfortunate to lose his job, but the players have to take responsibility for their performances. They are the ones that are on the pitch. They are the ones that are playing, you can only put them out there."
Redknapp, who hopes backroom duo Joe Jordan and Kevin Bond will join him shortly, is fully aware of his uphill task and will drop any players who are not willing to dig deep on the pitch.
"I need 11 people with the ability to put effort in," he said. "If they give that effort, we have got a chance of surviving. If they don't, they are not going to play to start with and I will find 11 players who will run about and work hard.
"I've not go time for people losing the ball and throwing their arms up in the air or standing around with their hands on their hips."
Strike duo Bobby Zamora and Andrew Johnson are sidelined with injuries and Redknapp realises his forward-line needs strengthening, but he has ruled out major spending in January.
Reports linking the club with an audacious swoop for David Beckham were also played down by the R's manager.
"I got a lovely text from David the other night, just wishing me well here," he said. "To have him at any football club would be a great influence on the club, but we've not discussed anything."