Moyes: No new deal decision

Everton manager David Moyes says he will wait until the summer before deciding on his future.

Last Updated: 15/02/13 at 15:30 Post Comment

The 49-year-old's current contract at Goodison Park expires at the end of the season and speculation is intensifying about his long-term future.

Ahead of Saturday's FA Cup fifth-round tie with Oldham, Moyes admitted he had spoken with Toffees chairman Bill Kenwright but he has no plans to decide anything until the current campaign is over.

"I've spoken with the chairman and I want to see how the team do," he said.

"I want to see how we do in the cups and the league and it is more than likely that I won't make a decision until the end of the season.

"You can ask me every week but I will probably give you the same answer."

Next month marks the 11th anniversary of Moyes leaving Preston to begin his reign at Everton, with his tenure regarded as a success despite him not having won a trophy during his time with the club.

The Toffees are enjoying a good season, and are in contention to qualify for the UEFA Champions League for the second time under Moyes' management after their debut in the competition in 2005/06.

Having only lost four games and taking 42 points from 26 matches so far this season, the Toffees are sixth in the Premier League table.

Howard

Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard earlier stressed the importance of Moyes staying with the club, but he insists that it should not be the concern of the players.

"The manager he needs to stay, everyone knows that," he told Sky Sports.

"It is no secret but that is an outside issue and that doesn't concern, currently, the players.

"We have to focus on the task and that is playing and performing, and he focusses on getting us ready for the games and performing and it [his future] is not something he talks about and we just get on with it."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

T

he uber commercialisation of the 90s has led to the point where this overly familar, try hard, jolly hockey sticks type fronts up a major football match on a weekly basis. Unlike the great presenters of yesteryear, I doubt he would even recognise the scent of Brut.

mufc phil
Football On TV: Jake Humphrey

H

opefully Jose turns up to the game wearing a T-Shirt with Costa's face on, that's the classy thing to do in these situations right?

Petulant_Radish
Costa loses appeal against ban

C

onfirmed. Nick Miller is a douche bag. Lazy, incoherent rant is what this article should be titled. And for the editor to have the temerity to pass this as acceptable writing is shocking. Ah well, anything for clicks right? You got mine. Well done. Your mother must be proud.

poolshortsdown
Gerrard Constantly Searching For That Final Hurrah

Footer 365

Les Hutchison's takeover of Motherwell has been ratified

Lanarkshire businessman Les Hutchison has completed his takeover of Scottish Premiership club Motherwell.

Mark Hughes in preliminary talks over new contract at Stoke City

Mark Hughes has revealed preliminary talks over him extending his stay as Stoke City manager are underway.

Cristiano Ronaldo admits he made a mistake against Cordoba, says Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti

Cristiano Ronaldo knows he made a mistake against Cordoba and accepts his two-game ban, according to Carlo Ancelotti.

Mail Box

'Costa Is A Bad Man. Suarez Is Not'

That's quite some claim. And yes, unfortunately we are still talking about this. We also have mails on Ronaldinho, possible replacements for Yaya Toure and more...

Red Mist Better Than Calculated Costa?

Hmmm. We're not sure about this argument - one Mailbox says Luis Suarez is easier to forgive because he is a little loco. We also have mails on Studge and more...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company