Samba: I was not prepared

Queens Park Rangers defender Christopher Samba has admitted that he was not ready for the rigours of the Premier League when he agreed to join the club in January.

Last Updated: 29/04/13 at 17:08 Post Comment

Christopher Samba: Admits he was not well enough prepared for life at QPR

Christopher Samba: Admits he was not well enough prepared for life at QPR

QPR's relegation was confirmed on Sunday following a goalless draw with Reading, who also dropped down to the Championship, and Samba admits the players are devastated.

The former Blackburn centre-back only arrived at Loftus Road halfway through the season from Anzhi Makhachkala and had been confident he could help keep the club up, but he admits he was not at his fittest when he made the move.

He told Sky Sports News: "There is a big feeling of failure. Most of us came to help the team, believing we could have an impact.

"There are good people at the club. Tony Fernandes is a fantastic guy and was working to transform it into a big club.

"It is a shame but we need to stay strong for the future and try to give what the club deserves."

Asked for the possible reasons behind QPR's relegation, Samba added: "From my personal point of view, I don't think I was well prepared to come back to the Premier League. It is the hardest league and you need to be fully fit and really ready to compete.

"We had many chances to get out of it and didn't take them, but that is football."

It has been suggested that there have been divisions in the dressing room which have contributed to QPR's miserable campaign, but Samba insists that would be too simplistic an explanation.

He said: "I don't know if we can say it is divided. What I can say is that at every club there are affinities. You go into work and you like to sit with specific people, that is what happens, but if everybody respects each other they can work with each other."

Samba did not want to comment on criticism of the club from midfielder Joey Barton, who is currently on loan at Marseille, and was also coy about his own future.

He says the one thing he can guarantee is that he will be better prepared for next season but he is not sure whether QPR will keep him.

He said: "I don't know. I am not the only one who makes these decisions. I have failed to help the team and I only know that I will be much stronger next season."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

m concerned as I have swore at football matches and whilst watching football on the TV. Am I also in line for an FA charge?

mufc phil
Wilshere charged by FA

I

m a big Rafa fan, but when he substitutes Ronaldo after 60 minutes of his first game, which Real draw 1-1, I don't see the Real fans being patient. He'll be gone before October is out.

the tree
Rafa quiet on Sterling and De Gea

W

hy no blog? that's my summer ruined. Can someone start a petition on change.org please?

myyoot
The New Dawn Gossip

Footer 365

Chuck Blazer admits facilitating acceptance of bribes at FIFA

FIFA whistleblower Chuck Blazer has admitted facilitating the acceptance of bribes over the awarding of the 1998 and 2010 World Cups.

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke insists he is not guilty

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke insists he is not guilty of any corrupt practices and sees no reason to stand down.

Benitez emotional at Real unveiling

Rafael Benitez refused to discuss Real Madrid's apparent interest in Raheem Sterling and David de Gea at his Bernabeu unveiling on Wednesday.

Mail Box

Does Anybody Care About Russia?

Do any of us really care about the decision to give the 2018 World Cup to Russia? We're not sure anybody does. We have mails on Blatter, Rafa and lots more...

Celebrate Good Times, But Hard Work Starts Now

The Mailbox is joyous over the impending departure of Sepp Blatter, but offers a reminder that problems remain. Plus title winners, CL play-offs and Nigel Adkins...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company