Paulinho: I'm off to Spurs

Brazil international midfielder Paulinho has confirmed he is leaving Corinthians to join Tottenham in a £17million deal.

Last Updated: 02/07/13 at 16:05 Post Comment

Paulinho: Has confirmed Corinthians exit

Paulinho: Has confirmed Corinthians exit

The player had been widely tipped to leave the Brazilian club for Tottenham upon the completion of the Confederations Cup and it has now been announced he will be on his way.

Paulinho revealed that he had also been a target for Inter Milan but he was happy to be making the move to Spurs.

"The other interest we got was of Inter Milan, but the only offer came from Tottenham," he told a press conference.

"The proposal came, we sat down, analysed it and decided. It was a big decision to go to a big club. There comes a certain point when you need new challenges."

He also used the occasion to thank Corinthians fans for their support, adding: "It's hard to say anything at a moment like this, but I am sure those were three wonderful years in my career, with many titles.

"What I have to say to Corinthians fans, board and staff is 'see you soon' - I will be back in no time, due to everything they have done for me.

"My individual titles are all thanks to the club, Corinthians will be in my heart for the rest of my life."

Corinthians director of football Roberto de Andrade reciprocated those warm remarks about the popular 24-year-old.

He said: "I want to thank Paulinho for everything he has done for Corinthians.

"We will never forget him - the great person he is - and his national team title (the Confederations Cup with Brazil) is well-deserved.

"Corinthians are proud for having had a player like him. It's fair he continues his life at an English club, to know a new culture."

Recopa

There had been speculation that Paulinho could be involved in the Recopa Sudamericana (equivalent of the UEFA Super Cup) games against Sao Paulo, the first leg being on Wednesday.

But Paulinho has confirmed that although he would relish the chance to sign off with another trophy, he must now focus on Tottenham.

"I will not play in the Recopa because there are contractual requirements of Tottenham which cannot be discussed here," he added.

"It was a decision that we all respect. Of course, I had a huge desire to win another title but the transfer has to be completed."

Footer 365

Arsene Wenger responds to Jose Mourinho taunt

Arsene Wenger has brushed off Jose Mourinho's latest taunts after the Chelsea boss said the Gunners' recent spending may come as "a surprise".

Manuel Pellegrini backs Raheem Sterling to justify price

Manuel Pellegrini insists Raheem Sterling will justify his club-record £49million price tag at Manchester City in the coming years.

Jose Mourinho: Arsenal spending way to title contention

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says Arsene Wenger is buying his way into Premier League title contention.

Mail Box

Di Maria Just Didn't Fit (S**t Happens)

If a signing doesn't work there doesn't have to be a massive witch hunt. So there. Plus a detailed net spend rant, Breel Embolo, computer games and Louis van Gaal...

The Calculator Is On Wenger's Side...

Over the last five years, Arsenal's net spent is about 55% of Chelsea's, so shush your mouth Jose. Plus, Van Gaal is attacked and defended in equal measure...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company