Atletico deny Cazorla move

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has denied the club have made moves to sign Arsenal playmaker Santi Cazorla.

Last Updated: 17/07/13 at 16:45 Post Comment

Santi Cazorla: Is not the subject of a bid from Atletico Madrid, says club presi

Santi Cazorla: Is not the subject of a bid from Atletico Madrid, says club presi

The 28-year-old cost Arsene Wenger in the region of £12million when he moved from Malaga last summer, with the player going on to score 12 goals in his debut season at the Emirates.

Reports on Wednesday claimed Atletico chief executive Miguel Angel Gil Marin had opened discussions with the Gunners over a possible £17.5million deal to take Cazorla back to Spain.

However, when quizzed about a possible deal for the former Villarreal star, Cerezo denied Atletico had made a bid.

"We have no news of Cazorla," he said. "These are invented stories that are made up every day."

Atletico signed Cazorla's former Malaga team-mate Martin Demichelis earlier this month, with the Argentine agreeing a one-year deal.

Los Rojiblancos, who finished third in the Primera Division last season and won the Copa del Rey, have also signed forwards David Villa and Leo Baptistao already this summer and brought back goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois for a third year on loan from Chelsea.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

Y

eah, if there's one thing football autobiographies need more of, it's mind numbing-inanity and platitudinous tales of bantz.

Hallicks
Robson blasts Keane book

W

e were a steaming pile of recently released dogs dinner.

popularpete,
Wenger: We refused to lose

I

m sure I'll be one of about 100 but the Monday's third allbum was actually Pill, Thrills n Bellyache. Brendan would kill for quality like that right now.

u man
Brendan Rodgers: Radiohead Or The Happy Mondays

Footer 365

Premier League: Didier Drogba hoping to lead Chelsea line at Old Trafford

Didier Drogba admits he is still getting up to speed at Chelsea, but has declared himself 'ready' to face Man Utd.

Carragher: Balotelli will leave Liverpool next season

Jamie Carragher does not believe Mario Balotelli will remain with the club next season.

Champions League: Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers rues defensive mistakes in Real Madrid defeat

Brendan Rodgers says he could have asked for no more from his side after seeing them taken apart by Real Madrid.

Mail Box

Oh Mario - Why Always Meh?

Come on in and play the Liverpool blame game. Is it the fault of Rodgers, Balotelli, Mignolet, Johnson, Markovic or Lovren? Plus, Arsenal fans annoyed in victory...

Do Man City Have A 'Small Mentality'?

That's one claim in the mailbox after Vincent Kompany focused on a few hundred CSKA fans sneaking into the ground instead of City blowing a two-goal lead...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property