Everton reject £28m United bid

Everton have described a joint £28m bid from Manchester United for Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines as "derisory and insulting".

Last Updated: 21/08/13 at 07:25 Post Comment

Leighton Baines and Maroune Fellaini: United have seen £28m double bid fail

Leighton Baines and Maroune Fellaini: United have seen £28m double bid fail

United manager David Moyes is very familiar with England left-back Baines and Belgium midfielder Fellaini from his time at the helm of the Goodison Park side.

And it has long been speculated that he might be keen to take one or both of the duo with him to Old Trafford.

However, Everton are determined to retain two of their most important players and released a club statement which read: "Everton can confirm that it has received bids from Manchester United for two players.

"Those bids were immediately rejected out of hand as derisory and insulting.

"The club did not make public these details as it was vital Roberto Martinez's preparations for the opening game of the Premier League season were not disrupted in any way."

Baines and Fellaini were both in the Everton line-up on Saturday as the Merseyside club began Premier League life under new boss Roberto Martinez with a 2-2 draw at Norwich.

Fellaini was signed by Moyes for Everton in 2008 for £15m, which rose to £17.5m with add-ons.

But it could be argued United are only offering around £16m for the player, considering they have previously had a £12m bid for Baines rejected.

According to reports, Fellaini's contract included a £23.5m release clause, but that expired at the end of July.

Not concerned

Martinez revealed last week: "Marouane had a buy-out clause where it was very straightforward. If someone met that valuation, the club had no say.

"That finished on July 31 so you can imagine during that period everyone was a bit expectant about what would happen. Once that date went, you just focus on working for the next season.

"I'm not concerned at all at the moment (about players leaving).

"The window is open and until it closes you're going to get speculation, you're going to get a lot of talk, not just at Everton. It's the norm."

And the Everton boss also confirmed earlier this month that they had received an offer for Baines, but insisted it fell well below their valuation.

He told the Liverpool Echo: "Before we went to Austria one club officially contacted ourselves with an offer, and it was a final offer.

"They put something over and the valuation wasn't anywhere near the quality of Leighton Baines.

"That was the end of it but since then, there's been all the speculation, which has been part of what the transfer window is.

"There's never been another club or anyone else putting in an offer for Leighton. Since then, we've moved on and we're continuing to focus on the start of the season."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

T

he thing is, footballers are role models, and children are influenced by them. I watched the Chelsea game with my 6 year old, and at school the next day she stamped on Emre Can.

megabrow (cufc)
Diego Costa: The Patron Saint Of S**thousery

Y

et again Barcelona try to convince the world that they only play the most virtuous of football. I've never seen a team so willing and able to dish out lumps but feel so self-righteous that no opposition player should ever have the audacity to tackle them.

charsmatcengma
Enrique hauls Neymar to safety

I

d love to see a United v Liverpool FA cup final. It would certainly fit the narrative. Obv I'd want the ending to be one of an O.G. and tears as he collects his runner-up medal.

GVMUFC
Gerrard Constantly Searching For That Final Hurrah

Footer 365

Transfer news: Paul Pogba will leave Juventus in next 18 months, says agent

Paul Pogba's agent expects the French midfielder to leave Juventus at some stage in the next two seasons.

Liverpool: Mario Balotelli 'wll stick with Reds' says his agent

Mario Balotelli hasn't got off to the best of starts at Liverpool but he is hopeful of turning things around at Anfield.

Eden Hazard: 'Chelsea need Diego Costa'

Eden Hazard admits Chelsea 'need' Diego Costa as he faces a three-match ban for a stamp on Emre Can on Tuesday night.

Mail Box

But Biting Doesn't Hurt Like Stamping...

There are Liverpool fans arguing that Luis Suarez is nowhere near Diego Costa's sh*t-house league but we have plenty of love for the agitator too. Oh and Spurs...

Erm... Balotelli To QPR..?

It's an afternoon Mailbox that offers the reaction to the reaction, with a defence for Diego Costa offered, and Balotelli mooted to move to QPR. Plus a silly idea about the Mails...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company