Coloccini happy at Newcastle

Newcastle skipper Fabricio Coloccini has committed his future to the club, ending talk of a move to boyhood side San Lorenzo.

Last Updated: 19/08/13 at 19:42 Post Comment

Fabricio Coloccini: No longer wants to quit Newcastle United

Fabricio Coloccini: No longer wants to quit Newcastle United

The 31-year-old stunned the Magpies in January when he said he wanted to quit St James' Park and return to Argentina for personal reasons.

Buenos Aires-based San Lorenzo, with whom Coloccini enjoyed a season-long loan spell in 2001, held talks with Newcastle but were unable to conclude a deal.

After lengthy discussions with Toon boss Alan Pardew, Coloccini made an about-turn and opted to stay in the north east until at least the end of the season.

Coloccini then confirmed earlier this summer that he wanted to stay at Newcastle after all, much to the delight of the Toon faithful.

Speaking ahead of his side's Premier League opener with Manchester City on Monday evening, Coloccini revealed that his relationship with the supporters played a key role in his decision to stay.

"My dream is to play at the top level of football. My family could understand that and that's why I'm here now," he said.

"My relationship with Newcastle and with the fans was very important in helping me to make my decision.

"I've supported San Lorenzo since I was small, but I feel something for Newcastle now."

Pope

The news is almost certain to disappoint San Lorenzo's most famous supporter, Buenos Aires-born Pope Francis.

Coloccini revealed he had spoken with the pontiff while on international duty with Argentina, but even he was unable to persuade the defender to quit the Premier League.

"It's well known that Pope Francis is a big San Lorenzo fan. He has a season ticket and everything," he added.

"You could tell he still really loves the club when he spoke with us all in the Argentina squad. He spoke about the club a lot."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

O

K FIFA we're done, you can ban us now

jimmyjazz
Barcelona transfer ban upheld

A

h Daniel. I could spend hours on this subject putting the world to rights. You can even take a step back and ask why football fans (and society in general) have this need to know that something will happen before it actually does. There are times this important, when it comes to things like war, food production and natural disasters. A man you've never met changing his job? Not so much.

ajsr1982
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

G

reat article. Hits the nail on the head. Encapsulates why I don't read tabloid newspapers anymore. The only thing worse is the 'told you so first' headline when they get lucky.

ianonabeach
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

Footer 365

Transfer news: Marco Reus said to have turned down move to Manchester United

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has told Onda Cero that Marco Reus rejected a move to Man Utd this summer.

Transfer News: Swansea complete deal for Napoli defender Federico Fernandez

Swansea City have signed defender Federico Fernandez from Napoli for an undisclosed fee.

FIFA committee rejects Barcelona's appeal against transfer ban

Barcelona will be unable to sign new players in the next two windows after a FIFA committee upheld their transfer ban.

Mail Box

So Long And Good Luck To Nani

A Mailbox that offers best wishes to a departing hero, defends Olivier Giroud, tells us to steady on over Calum Chambers and makes some amusing predictions...

Mailbox: Feeling Sorry For Poor TC23

If there's one loser in all the machinations at Man United, it's poor TC23. We have mercifully few mails on United, but lots on Arsenal and in particular Olivier Giroud...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property