Perez: United made Bale bid

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has claimed that Manchester United made a bid for Gareth Bale before the Welshman moved to Madrid for a world-record fee.

Last Updated: 24/09/13 at 17:15 Post Comment

Florentino Perez (r): Real Madrid president claims Manchester United made a bid

Florentino Perez (r): Real Madrid president claims Manchester United made a bid

The 24-year-old left Tottenham earlier this month for £86m and scored on his Real debut against Villarreal 10 days ago.

Bale was forced to miss his home debut against Getafe on Sunday, pulling out of the starting XI after injuring his thigh in the pre-match warm-up. He has been passed fit to face Atletico Madrid live on Sky Sports this weekend.

Perez told SER radio that he believed he had secured a bargain on the conclusion of the record-breaking deal.

He said: "Bale has come cheaply.

"Signing the best players out there is Madrid's philosophy and Bale was the best available player on the market this summer. We had been following him for two years.

"Tottenham did not want to sell. We learned that Manchester United had made an offer and we made one ourselves.

"Since childhood he had had the dream of playing for Real Madrid and he asked us to make it possible for him to come."

United boss David Moyes was asked about the story of his interest in Bale at his Tuesday press conference, but said only: "If I was I wouldn't tell you. We don't talk about it.

"We only talk about the players we think there is a reason to talk about and I wouldn't comment on that."

Shortly after Bale's move to Madrid, Cristiano Ronaldo signed a three-year contract extension and stated he wished to finish his career with Real after a period when he was linked with a move away - and a possible return to Manchester United.

Perez said: "The renewal of Cristiano Ronaldo has been easy - he is determined to finish his career at Real Madrid. Cristiano never spoke of money with me."

Mesut Ozil left Madrid at the end of the transfer window - joining Arsenal for £42m - in a move that caused some raised eyebrows across Europe.

However, Perez refuted suggestions that the player had been forced out, adding: "It was the father of the player who made contact with Arsenal. No-one leaves Real Madrid if they don't want to go."

Don't forget you can watch the Madrid derby live on Sky Sports 2 on Saturday 28 September from 21.00

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

want to spend more time with my tit-for-tat Autobiographies . He probably didn't say.

megabrow (cufc)
Keane leaves Aston Villa

B

elieve in the dream Ashley. I have a hot tub, I still think I can get all The Saturdays in there for nekkid sexyfuntime. Failing that, Adele.

hump3.
Young: Man United target title

C

onclusions...we are truely living the dream now

dead yeti
Take Your Marks In The Premier League Sack Race

Footer 365

Premier League: Swansea manager Garry Monk defends Liverpool's Brendan Rodgers

Swansea manager Garry Monk has leapt to the defence of under-fire Liverpool counterpart Brendan Rodgers.

Premier League: West Brom manager Alan Irvine sees a defensive weakness in Arsenal

West Brom manager Alan Irvine hopes Arsenal's gung-ho attitude will be their undoing at The Hawthorns on Saturday.

Premier League: Southampton manager Ronald Koeman confident of continued success

Manager Ronald Koeman believes Southampton can thrive this term and is relishing taking on the Premier League big boys.

Mail Box

Don't Write Arsenal Off Yet (For Third)

That's the message from the afternoon mailbox, which also suggests Manchester City should look to bin Manuel Pellegrini. Can he take them any further?

Sanchez: A Sliding Doors Moment For Pool

One Liverpool fan regrets the club's failure to sign Alexis Sanchez and thinks Brendan Rodgers and Co should now target the domestic cups. A lot has changed in 12 months...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property