Meulensteen coy on Berbatov

Rene Meulensteen says Dimitar Berbatov is "fully committed" to Fulham - but cannot be sure he will stay in January.

Last Updated: 27/12/13 at 17:16 Post Comment

Dimitar Berbatov: Fulham striker impressed against Aston Villa

Dimitar Berbatov: Fulham striker impressed against Aston Villa

Last week, Berbatov's agent confirmed his client is "not happy" at Craven Cottage and will seek a move in the January transfer window.

However, the Bulgarian delivered an excellent performance in Sunday's 2-0 home victory over Aston Villa, which ended a run of six straight Premier League defeats, teeing up Steve Sidwell for a well-taken opener before coolly dispatching a penalty he had helped win.

It all added up to a first three points for new Cottagers boss Meulensteen, who praised the 32-year-old Berbatov's contribution.

Meulensteen said: "I think the word is focus. Anyone who has a good focus will know what the job is in hand, and you focus on the performance.

"He makes a difference. I thought he was excellent [in the 2-1 loss to Tottenham] on Wednesday as well, and today again you saw what he was capable of doing.

"I just had a good chat with him, he's not a stranger to me, we know what games we have coming up all the way to January, and he's fully committed to Fulham and the games we've got ahead of us.

"I'm just focusing on the games up until January.

"I couldn't be more delighted with his performance, it shows that he cares.

"The most important thing is that the players should be delighted with themselves."

Asked about Berbatov's likely prospects once the January transfer window opens, Meulensteen said: "I can't, couldn't, wouldn't and don't want to answer that. It's my decision to do that with the people who are relevant to discuss these things."

And Meulensteen has no concerns over Berbatov's laid-back approach to penalty-taking, or any other aspect of the 32-year-old's game.

Meulensteen said: "You have to stay calm when he does that, I never thought for a second about it in that respect, because it's very clear, he's the man that takes the penalties, he takes the responsibility and he puts it away, I trust all my players."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

m concerned as I have swore at football matches and whilst watching football on the TV. Am I also in line for an FA charge?

mufc phil
Wilshere charged by FA

I

m a big Rafa fan, but when he substitutes Ronaldo after 60 minutes of his first game, which Real draw 1-1, I don't see the Real fans being patient. He'll be gone before October is out.

the tree
Rafa quiet on Sterling and De Gea

W

hy no blog? that's my summer ruined. Can someone start a petition on change.org please?

myyoot
The New Dawn Gossip

Footer 365

Chuck Blazer admits facilitating acceptance of bribes at FIFA

FIFA whistleblower Chuck Blazer has admitted facilitating the acceptance of bribes over the awarding of the 1998 and 2010 World Cups.

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke insists he is not guilty

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke insists he is not guilty of any corrupt practices and sees no reason to stand down.

Benitez emotional at Real unveiling

Rafael Benitez refused to discuss Real Madrid's apparent interest in Raheem Sterling and David de Gea at his Bernabeu unveiling on Wednesday.

Mail Box

Does Anybody Care About Russia?

Do any of us really care about the decision to give the 2018 World Cup to Russia? We're not sure anybody does. We have mails on Blatter, Rafa and lots more...

Celebrate Good Times, But Hard Work Starts Now

The Mailbox is joyous over the impending departure of Sepp Blatter, but offers a reminder that problems remain. Plus title winners, CL play-offs and Nigel Adkins...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company