Anelka: Drop quenelle charge

West Brom's Nicolas Anelka has asked the Football Association to drop their charge over his controversial 'quenelle' goal celebration.

Last Updated: 23/01/14 at 19:21 Post Comment

Nicolas Anelka: Goal celebration at Upton Park caused uproar

Nicolas Anelka: Goal celebration at Upton Park caused uproar

The Albion striker was charged by the governing body on Tuesday for making a gesture alleged to have been "abusive or indecent or insulting or improper" during his side's Premier League match at West Ham on December 28.

Anelka, who faces a minimum five-match ban, has repeatedly insisted the sign - considered by some to have anti-Semitic connotations - was an anti-establishment one without racial intent.

He has yet to submit a formal response to the charge, ahead of the FA's 6pm deadline on Thursday, but maintained his defiant stance on social media.

"I ask that the FA kindly remove the charges alleged against me," the 34-year-old wrote on his Facebook page on Wednesday afternoon. "And I repeat, I am neither anti-Semitic nor racist."

Anelka had earlier used Twitter to share a video clip of an interview with Roger Cukierman, head of Jewish organisation CRIF (Representative Council of French Jewish Institutions).

Cukierman had questioned the potential punishment, saying: "It seems a bit severe to me because it seems to me that this gesture only has an anti-Semitic connotation if the gesture is made in front of a synagogue or a memorial to the Holocaust.

"When it's made in a place which is not specifically Jewish, it seems to me that it's a slightly anarchic gesture of revolt against the establishment, which doesn't deserve severe sanctions."

The striker's defence found no favour in other quarters, with the Board of Deputies of British Jews citing his apparent lack of remorse.

Vice-president Jonathan Arkush said: "I know under the rules that on a first-time offence there is a minimum five-game suspension but I think what he did was sufficiently serious to justify a longer suspension than five matches.

"He has not indicated one bit of remorse or regret or apologised for his actions. He has simply said he wouldn't do it again and that is not good enough."

The FA recruited an expert to help decide whether or not to bring charges following a lengthy investigation.

A three-man independent regulatory commission will now be appointed to deal with the case, deciding either on a sanction or to hold a disciplinary hearing if Anelka submits an appeal.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

put Ince in my fantasy football team, so it's no surprise at all really. I do that to players. Also responsible for De Jong and Upson being injured. Think I'll transfer in Di Maria just to ruin United....

megabrow (cufc)
F365's Top Ten Surprise Strugglers

L

ovren? £20m always seemed a touch on the expensive side, but I wasn't expecting him to be quite such a waste of money

stevenjameshyde
F365's Top Ten Surprise Strugglers

H

alf of our players have the physical presence of a 14 year old girl. I don't know why people are always shocked that they're injured.

TheWhiz
Wenger baffled by injuries

Footer 365

Champions League: Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger confident Danny Welbeck's finishing will only get better

Arsene Wenger says hat-trick hero Danny Welbeck showed the "instinct of a goalscorer" in Arsenal's win over Galatasaray.

European Qualifiers: Daniel Sturridge won't be in England squad, says Brendan Rodgers

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says Roy Hodgson has agreed to leave Daniel Sturridge out of his England squad.

Sky Bet Championship: Fulham thump Bolton, Huddersfield win at Wolves, Leeds held

Fulham thrashed Bolton 4-0 in the Championship, while Huddersfield won at Molineux to deny Wolves top spot.

Mail Box

It Was Better When City Were Rubbish

'I think I preferred it when we were s**t' says one City fan in the afternoon mailbox. There's a decent chat about the empty seats plus views on Liverpool and Roma...

Do City Really Need To Expand Their Stadium?

That's the question posed by one Man United fan in the mailbox after seeing the empty seats at the Etihad last night. Sadly, there isn't a single mail from a City supporter...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property