The King Power Stadium

Next Game

Leicester v Man Utd

Sunday, 21 September 2014, 13:30

Barclays Prem

Old Trafford

Last Game

Man Utd 4 - 0 QPR

Sunday, 14 September 2014, 16:00

Barclays Prem

Hodgson 'moves on' from duo

Roy Hodgson says he has 'moved on' from the John Terry and Rio Ferdinand debate, and wants to focus on finding England replacements for the defensive duo.

Last Updated: 18/11/12 at 10:37 Post Comment

Roy Hodgson: England coach has moved on from the John Terry/Rio Ferdinand debate

Roy Hodgson: England coach has moved on from the John Terry/Rio Ferdinand debate

Manchester United centre-half Ferdinand has not been involved since Hodgson became coach and his omission from the Euro 2012 squad caused controversy following a succession of injuries.

Terry, meanwhile, recently retired from international football and Hodgson now wants to look to the future rather than constantly discuss the issues which emanated from the Chelsea captain's racism case.

"I have moved on from the Ferdinand and Terry debate. The team have moved on from it," said Hodgson.

"We can never dictate what is being done on the outside. All we can do is control our own environment and already we think we have some pretty interesting alternatives.

"Phil (Jagielka) and Joleon (Lescott) have done well. (Gary) Cahill and (Steven) Caulker did well against Sweden and I am also looking for (Chris) Smalling and (Phil) Jones.

"That is what I have to do. I have to hope that amongst that group of players - and maybe someone else will come on the scene and force his way in - I can find a couple of players who can do the job in the way John and Rio were when they were playing a few years ago."

Hodgson also believes he has now put his own stamp on the England team after being forced to hastily put together a squad for the European Championship.

"I would like to think it is my team," he added.

"The players are very much committed to what we are trying to do. We have seen that in all the games so far, irrespective of results.

"I can only hope I will get enough contact with them because to really get a team playing the type of assured football we want they need the coaching, video and talking time."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

H

ilarious, thanks for that. But if I may, I do suspect the reason of your partners' ire is not Tottenham, but most probably all the compusilve gambling :)

DannySmith
Backing Costa To Keep Banging 'Em In

T

wo police horses in a paddock. Horse 1: What's with the long face? Horse 2: I'm working St James Park this weekend.

hump3.
Pardew - It's mass hysteria

T

wo things. First, I can't stop reading your name as 'Dane Bowers'. Second, you used the words 'philosophy' and 'Redknapp' in the same sentence.

ajsr1982
Can United's Defence Handle Ulloa?

Footer 365

Premier League: Everton striker Samuel Eto'o convinces Roberto Martinez

Everton manager Roberto Martinez believes Samuel Eto'o is ready to be the starting striker.

Transfer news: Mario Balotelli wanted AC Milan exit, says CEO Adriano Galliani

AC Milan CEO Adriano Galliani has confirmed that Mario Balotelli wanted to leave the club for Liverpool this summer.

Premiership: Chelsea's Diego Costa to return against Manchester City

Diego Costa will return for Chelsea's Sky Live showdown with Manchester City on Sunday.

Mail Box

Be Careful What You Wish For, Gooners

That's the message from a Man United fan in the mailbox. Plus, thoughts on Paul Lambert's new contract, the Alan Pardew dilemma at Newcastle and lots more...

No, Wenger IS To Blame For Failure...

The backlash to the backlash to the backlash sees Arsene Wenger getting a good kicking while we also have mails on Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton and lots more...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property