Old Trafford

Next Game

Man Utd v Chelsea

Sunday, 26 October 2014, 16:00

Barclays Prem

The Hawthorns

Last Game

W Brom 2 - 2 Man Utd

Monday, 20 October 2014, 20:00

Barclays Prem

Ferdinand out of England squad

Manchester United centre-half Rio Ferdinand has pulled out of England's upcoming World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Montenegro.

Last Updated: 18/03/13 at 17:23 Post Comment

Ferdinand: Forced out of England's double-header against San Marino and Mont

Ferdinand: Forced out of England's double-header against San Marino and Mont

The 34-year-old was forced to withdraw due to a detailed pre-planned training and medical programme he has been told to follow to help manage a long-standing back problem.

England boss Roy Hodgson met Ferdinand on Sunday before taking the decision to replace him with Tottenham's Steven Caulker.

At the meeting, Ferdinand confirmed he was keen to continue his England career and hoped to be selected for the summer and autumn fixtures ahead of the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil.

It had been thought Hodgson would rest the 81-times capped defender for Friday's trip to San Marino but would consider him for the Montenegro tie four days later with Michael Dawson ruled out through injury.

"I'm disappointed Rio will not be available, but due to the detailed pre-planned training and medical programme he must follow it's not possible," said Hodgson.

"However, I was pleased he called and asked to meet with me. It was important to hear from him personally about the way he must manage his body between games.

"This is not to say he cannot play back-to-back games - he can and has proven so. He's out this time due to particular pre-planned details already in place for his programme.

"I must place on record how I was impressed with his commitment to playing for England and I look forward to hopefully selecting him for squads in the future."

Ferdinand said: "It was important for me to be able to speak with Roy face to face and explain the situation.

"One thing I made clear was my passion and commitment to represent my country is as strong as ever.

"It's disappointing I won't be able to play a part in the upcoming games but I told Roy I want to continue to be available for England and look forward to working with him in the future."

Caulker has been called up from Stuart Pearce's U21s for the senior matches on Friday, March 22 and the following Tuesday.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

B

alotelli would've scored if the goals height was 3 times higher too...

footyfan52
Rodgers defends Balotelli

A

s if storey would ever get invited on a stag do

dooby
Does Wenger Know He's To Blame?

I

disagree. We sit here in our ivory towers looking down our noses at people we perceive tio be thick, but if Harry Redknapp and Tim Sherwood can do it, frankly, anyone can.........

HarryBoulton
Roy: Rooney can become manager

Footer 365

Champions League: Arsenal to field Damian Martinez at Anderlecht

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is expected to field the inexperienced Damian Martinez in Wednesday's clash with Anderlecht.

Jamie Carragher: Don't play Balotelli v Real Madrid

Jamie Carragher would drop Mario Balotelli for the Champions League clash with Real Madrid.

Champions League: Real Madrid's Gareth Bale ruled out of Liverpool clash

Gareth Bale has been left out of Real Madrid's squad to face Liverpool due to a muscle injury.

Mail Box

Is Van Gaal Just A Dutch Pardew?

A Mailbox of comparisons. Van Gaal is similar to Pardew, Wenger to Moyes, Van Persie to a spent force, and Pelle to a bloody gent. There's also plenty from last night...

Reimbursing Fans? How Patronising...

It's something of a return to form for the mailbox with mails on Southampton (Liverpool fans are cynical), the gorgeous Graziano Pelle, Arsenal, Spurs and more...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property