Stadium of Light

Next Game

S'land v Man Utd

Sunday, 24 August 2014, 16:00

Barclays Prem

Old Trafford

Last Game

Man Utd 1 - 2 Swansea

Saturday, 16 August 2014, 12:45

Barclays Prem

Ancelotti: Coentrao staying

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed Fabio Coentrao will be staying with the Spanish giants amid speculation of a possible move ahead of Monday's transfer deadline,

Last Updated: 01/09/13 at 16:44 Post Comment

Fabio Coentrao: Will remain a Real Madrid player, according to Carlo Ancelotti

Fabio Coentrao: Will remain a Real Madrid player, according to Carlo Ancelotti

However, there was no update from the Italian on the club's summer-long pursuit of Gareth Bale.

Premier League clubs Manchester United, Chelsea and Tottenham have all been linked with Portugal left-back Coentrao, who has not been involved in any of Madrid's opening three Primera Division matches and was said to be keen to leave the Bernabeu.

However, Ancelotti has said the 25-year-old, who cost Madrid a reported 30million euros (£25.6m) when he joined from Benfica in 2011, has told the club he wants to continue.

"Fabio is staying. I understood that he wanted to go, but really it was not the same desire for everyone. Now he's decided to stay and everybody, the club, players and coaching staff, are happy with this decision," the Italian told reporters following Madrid's 3-1 home win over Athletic Bilbao on Sunday.

Regarding other possible comings and goings at Madrid before the transfer deadline, Ancelotti was non-committal.

Madrid are widely expected to confirm the signing of Tottenham star Bale in the next 24 hours but there is still nothing official from either club, while the future of Madrid playmaker Kaka is also the subject of widespread speculation after the Brazil international announced last week he wanted to leave.

Ancelotti said: "I don't really know what is going to happen tomorrow. I cannot say today. Anything could happen, both with regards to players coming in and players going out."

Modric takes plaudits

Madrid made it three Primera Division wins from three with their home triumph over Athletic.

Summer signing Isco continued his good early-season form with a brace while Cristiano Ronaldo netted Madrid's other goal to open his account for the season.

However, while those two players grabbed the goals it was Luka Modric who took the plaudits with a performance that Ancelotti described as "fantastic".

"I think that Modric has played a fantastic match, Isco also, and Cristiano scored which is good for him," he added.

"He didn't have a problem but for a forward to score is always good."

The former Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain boss added: "It was a good game. We didn't have much intensity to start with but after 15 minutes the team started to play with more rhythm. The first half was good.

"I'm very happy. It's a very good squad and I'm going to work to improve the play. With these players, we will play well. The team is working well and in the last 15 days we've improved."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

O

K FIFA we're done, you can ban us now

jimmyjazz
Barcelona transfer ban upheld

A

h Daniel. I could spend hours on this subject putting the world to rights. You can even take a step back and ask why football fans (and society in general) have this need to know that something will happen before it actually does. There are times this important, when it comes to things like war, food production and natural disasters. A man you've never met changing his job? Not so much.

ajsr1982
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

G

reat article. Hits the nail on the head. Encapsulates why I don't read tabloid newspapers anymore. The only thing worse is the 'told you so first' headline when they get lucky.

ianonabeach
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

Footer 365

Transfer news: AC Milan yet to receive an offer from Liverpool for Mario Balotelli

AC Milan insist they have not received an offer from Liverpool for their controversial striker Mario Balotelli.

Transfer news: Marco Reus said to have turned down move to Manchester United

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has told Onda Cero that Marco Reus rejected a move to Man Utd this summer.

Transfer News: Swansea complete deal for Napoli defender Federico Fernandez

Swansea City have signed defender Federico Fernandez from Napoli for an undisclosed fee.

Mail Box

So Long And Good Luck To Nani

A Mailbox that offers best wishes to a departing hero, defends Olivier Giroud, tells us to steady on over Calum Chambers and makes some amusing predictions...

Mailbox: Feeling Sorry For Poor TC23

If there's one loser in all the machinations at Man United, it's poor TC23. We have mercifully few mails on United, but lots on Arsenal and in particular Olivier Giroud...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property