Old Trafford

Next Game

Man Utd v Chelsea

Sunday, 26 October 2014, 16:00

Barclays Prem

The Hawthorns

Last Game

W Brom 2 - 2 Man Utd

Monday, 20 October 2014, 20:00

Barclays Prem

Carlisle defuses Ferdinand row

Clarke Carlisle says he has resolved his row with Rio and Anton Ferdinand over their boycott of the Kick It Out campaign last year.

Last Updated: 12/09/13 at 12:39 Post Comment

Anton and Rio Ferdinand: Boycotted Kick It Out campaign

Anton and Rio Ferdinand: Boycotted Kick It Out campaign

The Professional Footballers Association chairman criticised the brothers in his recent book for failing to support the anti-racism T-shirt demonstration and failing to explain their stance at the time.

Carlisle wrote in the book that he was "bitterly disappointed" with the boycott, which saw players - including the Ferdinand brothers, Manchester City's Joleon Lescott and Reading striker Jason Roberts - refuse to wear T-shirts issued by Kick It Out before a round of Premier League fixtures last October.

He went on to label the players, exempting Roberts, as "s***houses" for not explaining their reasons.

But he told Sky Sports News that those comments reflected his emotions at the time of the boycott, and he has since talked with the players and understands their position.

"The danger of serialisation of the book was that they are my personal opinions at that moment in time," he said.

"So when the whole Kick It Out boycott kicked off, that weekend I did not understand what was going on. I did not agree with what was happening and I voiced that in all the interviews I did.

"My frustrations were at the fact that nothing was forthcoming from the group of players that boycotted the T-shirts.

"But as you read the rest of the book, [you can see] the issue evolved and we talked about what they were bringing to the fore and the reasons why they did that. I did then come to understand.

"I respect them for using the platform that they had to raise their umbrage with Kick It Out and how racism was being tackled."

The Football Association have introduced a minimum five-game ban for being found guilty of racism, while FIFA and UEFA have signalled their intentions to follow with similar minimum suspensions.

Carlisle welcomed the moves but still feels there is not enough being done.

"It is a step in the right direction," he said. "But personally I still don't feel it is anywhere near enough."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

B

alotelli would've scored if the goals height was 3 times higher too...

footyfan52
Rodgers defends Balotelli

A

s if storey would ever get invited on a stag do

dooby
Does Wenger Know He's To Blame?

I

disagree. We sit here in our ivory towers looking down our noses at people we perceive tio be thick, but if Harry Redknapp and Tim Sherwood can do it, frankly, anyone can.........

HarryBoulton
Roy: Rooney can become manager

Footer 365

Arsenal to field Damian Martinez in Champions League v Anderlecht

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is expected to field inexperienced goalkeeper Damian Martinez in the clash with Anderlecht.

Jamie Carragher: Don't play Balotelli v Real Madrid

Jamie Carragher would drop Mario Balotelli for the Champions League clash with Real Madrid.

Champions League: Real Madrid's Gareth Bale ruled out of Liverpool clash

Gareth Bale has been left out of Real Madrid's squad to face Liverpool due to a muscle injury.

Mail Box

Is Van Gaal Just A Dutch Pardew?

A Mailbox of comparisons. Van Gaal is similar to Pardew, Wenger to Moyes, Van Persie to a spent force, and Pelle to a bloody gent. There's also plenty from last night...

Reimbursing Fans? How Patronising...

It's something of a return to form for the mailbox with mails on Southampton (Liverpool fans are cynical), the gorgeous Graziano Pelle, Arsenal, Spurs and more...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property