Stadium of Light

Next Game

S'land v Man Utd

Sunday, 24 August 2014, 16:00

Barclays Prem

Old Trafford

Last Game

Man Utd 1 - 2 Swansea

Saturday, 16 August 2014, 12:45

Barclays Prem

Martinez: Baines won't leave

Roberto Martinez can 'guarantee' that left-back Leighton Baines will not be leaving Everton during the January transfer window.

Last Updated: 29/12/13 at 09:57 Post Comment

Leighton Baines: Everton left-back not for sale in January

Leighton Baines: Everton left-back not for sale in January

Baines, who has missed Everton's last six games due to a toe injury, was the subject of several failed bids by Manchester United during the summer.

Speculation has suggested that former Everton boss David Moyes will make a fresh attempt to take the 29-year-old to Old Trafford when the window reopens.

However, Martinez has no intention of letting Baines leave Goodison Park and insists the England international is 'vital' for the second half of the season.

"In football you don't work long term, you go window to window and I can guarantee that Leighton will be here at the end of the season," said Martinez. "That is 100 per cent.

"That is how you work from window to window - to have a stronger squad than previously.

"Leighton is vital for us in the second half of the season. Bryan Oviedo has been terrific, but we need Leighton and Bryan fit for us, if we are going to fight for our football dream."

One player who could be on his way out of Everton in January, though, is Croatia international striker Nikica Jelavic, who has been the subject of enquiries from two clubs.

Speaking ahead of Sunday's game against Southampton, Martinez told evertontv: "We've had a couple of enquiries from two different clubs for one of our players.

"Nikica Jelavic is someone who we have made it very clear to - we've had a conversation and he has the World Cup around the corner.

"He needs to be playing minutes and we understand that. We'll always try to give it a good assessment of the situation but that's not affecting anyone at the club.

"All we are focusing on is being as good as we can on Sunday.

"Whatever happens in January will be for the good of the football club and that's where the work is."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

C

heers Harry. I was wondering if he'd murdered anyone

Ezy_Rider
Redknapp leaps to Mackay defence

I

recently had to complete a difficult project at work. I had to come in early, stay late. I even had to work some 7 day weeks. Anyway, long story short, I'm now a member of Britain First. Slippery slope.

sailingmagpie
Will The Laughable 'Banter' Defence Lead To Change?

C

rikey, Spain is so exotic, we have cold Tuesday nights in Stoke, they have hot Thursday nights in Eibar

Gollo
Atletico Ready For Another Title Tilt

Footer 365

Transfer news: Mario Balotelli heading for Liverpool medical

Mario Balotelli is on his way to England for a medical ahead of his proposed move to Liverpool, Sky sources understand.

Redknapp leaps to Mackay defence

Harry Redknapp offered a bizarre defence of under-fire Malky Mackay, saying: "He hasn't murdered anyone, he hasn't raped anyone and he is not a paedophile.

Premier League: QPR boss Harry Redknapp looking forward to taking on Spurs

Harry Redknapp is trying to keep his focus on QPR business ahead of a reunion with Tottenham on Sunday at White Hart Lane.

Mail Box

Man United: One Game To Save Season

They have one match to convince decent players that they are worth joining - over to you, Louis. We also have mails on Malky Mackay, Mario Balotelli and Tim...

Man United Fans Clutching At Straws

While the focus is on Liverpool's move for Mario Balotelli, one Man United fan tries to convince the mailbox with nine reasons why Angel Di Maria would prefer them to PSG...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property