Old Trafford

Next Game

Man Utd v Leicester

Saturday, 31 January 2015, 15:00

Barclays Prem

Last Game

Cambridge Utd 0 - 0 Man Utd

Friday, 23 January 2015, 19:55

The FA Cup Fourth Round

Moyes has place for Rio

David Moyes insists that Rio Ferdinand is still very much part of his plans at Manchester United.

Last Updated: 02/01/14 at 10:57 Post Comment

David Moyes: Still has plans for Rio Ferdinand

David Moyes: Still has plans for Rio Ferdinand

The 35-year-old has started just seven Premier League games so far this season, and has not featured since the Champions League defeat of Shakhtar Donetsk on December 10.

Ferdinand's current deal expires in the summer, and many have suggested that the former England star's 14-year association with the Old Trafford giants could soon end.

But Moyes insists that Ferdinand, and long-time partner Nemanja Vidic, are still very much part of his thinking.

"Rio has had a few injuries and little niggles in his calf," said Moyes.

"But, overall, he is very much part of it.

"Rio and Vida [Nemanja Vidic] have been two of the best centre-backs in this Premier League generation. For the past 10 years, they've been terrific.

"I will continue using them but there are always going to be other people to come in. This club has to have a line of players ready to take their places and push them.

"The challenge is for the young players to take over. It's part of the job if you play for this club."

Moyes, though, has never hidden his belief that some rebuilding work is required at United.

"I think, if he had been here, Sir Alex would have said that there needed to be a rebuilding job as there is a continual building job going on all the time," said Moyes.

"First and foremost, we always look to the academy to see if we can bring players through. Who are the next ones possibly coming up to the first team?

"After that, if we've not got a position covered, we will go out and try to find something better than what we've got."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

H

opefully Jose turns up to the game wearing a T-Shirt with Costa's face on, that's the classy thing to do in these situations right?

Petulant_Radish
Costa loses appeal

C

onfirmed. Nick Miller is a douche bag. Lazy, incoherent rant is what this article should be titled. And for the editor to have the temerity to pass this as acceptable writing is shocking. Ah well, anything for clicks right? You got mine. Well done. Your mother must be proud.

poolshortsdown
Gerrard Constantly Searching For That Final Hurrah

T

his Martinez guy is mental. He'll get us relegated. I said that when they appointed him. Sack him now, Bill!

nilsatisnisi
'No need to replace Eto'o'

Footer 365

Premier League: Costa loses appeal against FA charge and gets three-match ban

Diego Costa has lost his appeal against an FA violent conduct charge and will start a three-match ban against Man City.

Sinclair joins Aston Villa on a season-long loan from Manchester City

Scott Sinclair has joined Aston Villa on a season-long loan from Manchester City, with a view to a permanent move.

Premier League: Arsene Wenger convinced new signing Gabriel will be a hit at Arsenal

Arsene Wenger says new signing Gabriel ticks all the boxes when it comes to coping with the demands of English football.

Mail Box

Red Mist Better Than Calculated Costa?

Hmmm. We're not sure about this argument - one Mailbox says Luis Suarez is easier to forgive because he is a little loco. We also have mails on Studge and more...

It's A Massive, Big, Brilliant Mailbox

And we left lots of Suarez/Costa mails unopened. What we do have is a video of some rotten Suarez tackles and views on the future of football, Spurs, Liverpool and...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company