Stamford Bridge

Next Game

Chelsea v Maribor

Tuesday, 21 October 2014, 19:45

Champions League Group G

Selhurst Park

Last Game

C Palace 1 - 2 Chelsea

Saturday, 18 October 2014, 15:00

Barclays Prem

Hazard ban won't be extended

The Football Association has confirmed that Chelsea midfielder Eden Hazard will not have his three-match ban for violent conduct increased.

Last Updated: 31/01/13 at 17:53 Post Comment

Eden Hazard: Chelsea midfielder's ban will not be increased

Eden Hazard: Chelsea midfielder's ban will not be increased

The 22-year-old Belgium international was sent off for kicking out at 17-year-old ballboy Charlie Morgan as he attempted to retrieve the ball during the Blues' 0-0 Capital One Cup draw with Swansea at the Liberty Stadium last Wednesday.

It had been suggested that the FA was considering extending the standard three-game suspension, but the governing body has now stated that will not happen.

A statement read: "Chelsea player Eden Hazard will not have his standard three-match sanction for violent conduct increased.

"Following a hearing, an independent regulatory commission was of the opinion the existing three-match sanction for this offence was sufficient."

Chelsea were ready to oppose any move by the FA to increase the ban and interim manager Rafa Benitez said last weekend that he felt a three-match ban was sufficient.

The basis of Chelsea's argument was that Hazard moved quickly to apologise to Morgan after the incident.

The club are also thought to have pointed out that Swindon's Matt Ritchie was only booked for grappling with Oxford United ballboy Aidan Hawtin in a similar incident last year.

Hazard has so far missed the 2-2 draw at Brentford in the FA Cup and Wednesday's 2-2 Premier League draw with Reading.

He will also sit out Saturday's trip to Newcastle but will be available again for the home game against Wigan on Saturday 9 February.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

B

alotelli would've scored if the goals height was 3 times higher too...

footyfan52
Rodgers defends Balotelli

A

s if storey would ever get invited on a stag do

dooby
Does Wenger Know He's To Blame?

I

disagree. We sit here in our ivory towers looking down our noses at people we perceive tio be thick, but if Harry Redknapp and Tim Sherwood can do it, frankly, anyone can.........

HarryBoulton
Roy: Rooney can become manager

Footer 365

Podolski mocks Spurs link

Arsenal forward Lukas Podolski says "hell would freeze over" before he would consider a shock move to north London rivals Tottenham.

Lee Clark sacked as Birmingham City manager

Birmingham have sacked manager Lee Clark and assistant boss Steve Watson.

Champions League: UEFA drops charges against Arsenal

Arsenal will face no UEFA action following an incident during their Champions League game against Galatasaray.

Mail Box

Reimbursing Fans? How Patronising...

It's something of a return to form for the mailbox with mails on Southampton (Liverpool fans are cynical), the gorgeous Graziano Pelle, Arsenal, Spurs and more...

Let's Face It, Liverpool Were Utter Dross

It's a reactive Monday morning Mailbox. Liverpool fans are getting pretty sodding worried, whilst we have the latest on the Southampton CRISIS. Plus, well done Michael Oliver...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property