Stamford Bridge

Next Game

Chelsea v Sociedad

Tuesday, 12 August 2014, 19:45

Friendly Match

Perez backs Mourinho comments

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has joined Jose Mourinho in accusing Barcelona players Xavi and Andres Iniesta of sour grapes after the pair hit out at the former Bernabeu coach.

Last Updated: 11/06/13 at 12:10 Post Comment

Jose Mourinho: Has received backing from former boss at Real Madrid, Florentino

Jose Mourinho: Has received backing from former boss at Real Madrid, Florentino

Last week Xavi criticised the Portuguese coach's style of football and declared he "has left no legacy for the future", while Iniesta said the new Chelsea boss had "damaged Spanish football" due to his confrontational style.

In his three years at Madrid Mourinho was the main antagonist in the rivalry between the two biggest clubs in Spain, most famously poking then Barcelona assistant coach Tito Vilanova in the eye after a match in August 2011.

Mourinho won Madrid's first league title for four years in 2012 and although Los Blancos lost out on the trophy to the Catalans last season, they overcame Vilanova's side in the Copa del Rey, the Spanish Super Cup and in their last league fixture.

The former Inter boss hit out at Iniesta during his unveiling at Stamford Bridge yesterday, saying: "I damaged Spanish football by being the coach who broke Barcelona's dominance."

And Perez, speaking during an interview with Marca TV, concurred with the 50-year-old's assertion.

"I understand why Xavi and Iniesta are angry with Mourinho, they haven't beaten us in any of the last five games," he said.

"It's not a good strategy to criticise your opponent when you don't win."

Referring to Mourinho's comments, Perez then added: "Mourinho ended Barca's period of always beating Madrid, he was right when he said that."

Mourinho won three trophies in total during his tenure at the Bernabeu while Barca won seven in the same period and Catalan midfielder Cesc Fabregas was quick to laugh off the former Porto manager's comments.

"Madrid ended our hegemony?" he told radio station Onda Cero. "We have just won the league by 15 points."

Real have been heavily linked with a move for Gareth Bale this summer and Perez, while admitting that Madrid would be keen on signing the Tottenham forward, revealed they were not in the process of bidding for him just yet.

"This club always wants to sign the best players and we have a good relationship with Tottenham," he said. "But first we must see who our coach is going to be and from then on we will go about planning our next squad."

One man being linked with a possible move away from the Spanish capital is Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Portuguese forward's contract expires in 2015 and speculation has mounted over a possible move back to former club Manchester United.

But Perez has dismissed that talk and believes that Ronaldo will finish his career in Madrid.

"Cristiano will end up retiring in Madrid," he said. "It's his natural place."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

B

rilliant article. Anything that makes a man of Scolari's age wear a cap with a hashtag on it will surely precede a disaster

westwoodbo
Brazil Team Over-Subscribed To Idea Of Neymar As Deity

R

ather than Sanchez nearly done could you provide the completion status please? Maybe today Sanchez deal 72% done and then tomorrow Sanchez deal 74.3% done , leading up to 100% on the evening of the transfer window close day. Thank you.

CamberleyGooner
The Autopilot Gossip

L

ast five Arsenal captains: Gallas, Fabregas, Van Persie, Vermaelen, Arteta. Talk about a poisoned chalice...

juan de gunnaz
The Sluggish Gossip

Footer 365

Transfer news: Arsenal complete signing of Chile forward Alexis Sanchez from Barcelona

Arsenal have confirmed the signing of Chile forward Alexis Sanchez from Barcelona for a fee believed to be £35million.

World Cup: Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal insists third-place play-off

Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal insists a World Cup third-place play-off "has got nothing to do whatsoever with sport."

FIFA rejects Luis Suarez appeal against ban for biting Giorgio Chiellini

FIFA has rejected an appeal from Luis Suarez against his four-month worldwide ban for biting Giorgio Chiellini.

Mail Box

Mails: It's Not Entertainment, It's Sport...

When did we start getting the idea that football was an entertainment business? It's about winning and winning alone. We also have some defences of Louis van Gaal...

Do England Need Scholes, Lineker Etc?

They've all got ideas about where things are going wrong, so why don't they step up and help? Plus, we have lots of fall-out from the dullness of Holland v Argentina...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property