The King Power Stadium

Next Game

Leicester v Everton

Saturday, 16 August 2014, 15:00

Barclays Prem

Last Game

Leicester 1 - 0 Everton

Sunday, 27 July 2014, 12:00

Friendly Match

Martinez: No Baines movement

Everton boss Roberto Martinez says the 'one club' chasing Leighton Baines have made no fresh approach for the England full-back.

Last Updated: 15/08/13 at 09:58 Post Comment

Leighton Baines: The subject of one formal offer, which was knocked back

Leighton Baines: The subject of one formal offer, which was knocked back

The 'club' in question are reported to be Manchester United, with David Moyes having returned to his former employers shortly after heading for Old Trafford in an effort to land one of the Premier League's most consistent performers.

Martinez admits a formal offer was tabled, but says the interested party made it clear that they were reluctant to be drawn into lengthy negotiations.

With Everton having rebuffed the approach, there has been no further movement on the transfer front.

Speculation continues to suggest that Baines could be targeted before the summer window closes, but Martinez insists there is nothing in the reports at present and maintains that the 28-year-old defender will form part of his plans heading forward.

Martinez told the Liverpool Echo: "Before we went to Austria one club officially contacted ourselves with an offer, and it was a final offer.

"They put something over and the valuation wasn't anywhere near the quality of Leighton Baines.

"That was the end of it but since then there's been all the speculation, which has been part of what the transfer window is.

"There's never been another club or anyone else putting in an offer for Leighton. Since then we've moved on and we're continuing to focus on the start of the season."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Champions League: John Collins claims Celtic will have to be at best to get past Legia Warsaw

John Collins says Legia Warsaw pose a huge threat to his dream of Champions League football with Celtic this season.

Premier League: Daniel Sturridge confident Liverpool can shine without Luis Suarez

Daniel Sturridge believes Liverpool have the squad to handle Luis Suarez's exit and will challenge for top honours.

Transfer news: Simon Mignolet backs Liverpool target Divock Origi and welcomes Pepe Reina return

Liverpool are closing in on Divock Origi and the Belgium youngster has been tipped to shine in the Premier League.

Mail Box

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

No Wonder Wenger Doesn't Buy British

That's if reports that Calum Chambers cost Arsenal £16m are to be believed. The English premium shows no signs of disappearing. Plus, worrying about poor Southampton...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property