Next Game

Partizan v Tottenham

Thursday, 18 September 2014, 18:00

Europa League Group C

Stadium of Light

Last Game

Sunderland 2 - 2 Tottenham

Saturday, 13 September 2014, 15:00

Barclays Prem

Redknapp would reject England

QPR boss Harry Redknapp insists he would turn down any approach to manage England and blames his contract at Tottenham for his failure to succeed Fabio Capello.

Last Updated: 05/04/13 at 12:33 Post Comment

Harry Redknapp: QPR boss claims he would turn down England job

Harry Redknapp: QPR boss claims he would turn down England job

Redknapp was the strong favourite to fill a post he had long coveted when Capello resigned in February last year, only for the Football Association to appoint Roy Hodgson.

The 66-year-old QPR manager, who was sacked by Tottenham in June after failing to agree a new contract, believes the cost of luring him from White Hart Lane convinced the FA to look elsewhere.

"I wouldn't take it [the England job] now, no. Not now, not in the future," Redknapp told Twentyfour7 Football magazine.

"That was my time, really, if I was going to get it. Last year there were a lot of things that went against me surrounding that massive contractual clause.

"People will always deny that is the reason, the FA couldn't say that and I won't say, but it didn't help me.

"I had such a badly loaded contract it was crazy, in Tottenham's favour. That's what you get for not reading your contract properly.

"It was a massive amount that someone would have had to pay to get me out of it.

"If they sacked me it wasn't so massive and that was a bolt out of the blue, a shock, I genuinely never saw it coming."

Redknapp insists Tottenham's decision to sack him was made by owner Joe Lewis and not chief executive Daniel Levy.

"Was it Levy who cut the cord? It was other people, the owner of the club that decided," he said.

Redknapp took over at QPR late last year but has been unable to steer them clear of relegation trouble, with eight points currently between them and safety.

The manager has vowed to stay at Loftus Road even if they do go down this season.

He added: "I'd stay with the club and have a go at it. But it is so difficult to go back up. There are some decent teams in the Championship.

"I know I should be preparing but I don't even want to think about it."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

W

hen players in their 30s leave Real Madrid, it's usually to Bolton Wanderers. I miss those days.

sailingmagpie
Top Ten CL Players Whetting Our Appetite

W

ow Pete, you would make an excellent stalker!

fouloleron
Taking A Close Look At Mario...

T

his specializing in mediocrity will only stop when Wenger and his entire back room staff are cleared out. Dortmund are everything Arsenal should be; in fact they're everything Arsenal thought they were, until they met this supreme doppelg nger.

dr soccer
The Bitter Taste Of Arsenal Déjà Vu

Footer 365

Kagawa: My heart stayed in Dortmund

Shinji Kagawa admits life at Manchester United was "particularly difficult", but the playmaker says his heart was always at Borussia Dortmund.

Championship: Alex Tettey has signed a new two-year deal with Norwich City

Alex Tettey has signed a new two-year deal with Norwich City, with the option to extend for a further year.

Champions League: Jack Wilshere believes Arsenal will bounce back from Dortmund defeat

Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere believes Arsene Wenger's men will bounce back from the 2-0 defeat to Borussia Dortmund.

Mail Box

I've Given It Some Thought: He's Got To Go

There is some more considered reaction to Arsenal and Liverpool's results, plus a big get well soon message for Jonas Gutierrez. And an apology to Merse...

B**locks To That, I'm Going To Sit In The Shed

Arsenal supporters given their understandable reaction to the debacle in Dortmund, whilst Liverpool fans weren't too impressed either. Still, at least they won...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property