White Hart Lane

Next Game

Tottenham v Arsenal

Saturday, 07 February 2015, 12:45

Barclays Prem

The Hawthorns

Last Game

W Brom 0 - 3 Tottenham

Saturday, 31 January 2015, 15:00

Barclays Prem

AVB explains Lloris absence

Hugo Lloris was omitted from the Tottenham squad to face Newcastle after failing to adequately come through a post-concussion assessment carried out on Saturday.

Last Updated: 10/11/13 at 17:30 Post Comment

Hugo Lloris: Was omitted from the Tottenham squad against Newcastle

Hugo Lloris: Was omitted from the Tottenham squad against Newcastle

Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas claimed the 26-year-old goalkeeper looked "ready to play" a week on from being knocked unconscious during the draw at Everton, but the medical advice suggested otherwise.

Villas-Boas revealed that the France international failed to satisfactorily come through Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing (ImPACT) - a computerised concussion evaluation system.

"The medical department felt that it was a bit too soon," the Portuguese said.

"Probably had the game been on Monday, he would have played. I expect he will play for France (in the World Cup play-offs).

"For them, it was a bit too soon although clinically and medically all the signs were that the player was ready to play.

"They did a test that they do, that they value a lot, called the ImPACT test, so I had to stick to what they said.

"They decided the player wasn't good enough. That test doesn't serve as an evaluation tool for an assessment, but they thought so and we've gone on from there because we respect them a lot."

Despite Lloris being unavailable, Villas-Boas said he stands by his previous stance and rejected the notion that his absence against Newcastle indicated he had been wrong to leave him on against Everton.

"No, not in my opinion, sorry," he said. "Nothing has come to light, the player is absolutely fine.

"The tests that they have, you don't know because they have made different tests.

"I think, if obviously the club agree, it would be welcome for the medical department to speak up their voice about the situation.

"The only thing that I can tell you and the only comment that I am going to make is that the medical department advised not to use the player. We followed rules and that's it."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

S

o Brendan is full of sh!t, who'd have thought it eh?

fatbob30
Carroll accuses Rodgers

P

resumably, you wanted to keep the version of Downing that was never seen at Anfield. The one that another manager has managed to re-create. The one you passed over.

badwolf
Rodgers: I wanted to keep Downing

T

he uber commercialisation of the 90s has led to the point where this overly familar, try hard, jolly hockey sticks type fronts up a major football match on a weekly basis. Unlike the great presenters of yesteryear, I doubt he would even recognise the scent of Brut.

mufc phil
Football On TV: Jake Humphrey

Footer 365

AFCON round-up: Ivory Coast and Ghana make semi-finals

Ivory Coast and Ghana both qualified for the Africa Cup of Nations semi-finals after beating Algeria and Guinea respectively on Sunday.

Stuart Pearce sacked as Nottingham Forest manager

Stuart Pearce has been sacked as manager of Nottingham Forest, the club confirmed on Sunday evening.

Transfer news: Tottenham look to offload trio and sign a player on loan

Tottenham will allow Emmanuel Adebayor and either Younes Kaboul or Vlad Chiriches to leave on loan before the deadline.

Mail Box

'Costa Is A Bad Man. Suarez Is Not'

That's quite some claim. And yes, unfortunately we are still talking about this. We also have mails on Ronaldinho, possible replacements for Yaya Toure and more...

Red Mist Better Than Calculated Costa?

Hmmm. We're not sure about this argument - one Mailbox says Luis Suarez is easier to forgive because he is a little loco. We also have mails on Studge and more...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company