Hillsborough

Next Game

Sheff Wed v Newcastle

Wednesday, 30 July 2014, 19:45

Friendly Match

Last Game

Wellington Phoenix FC 0 - 1 Newcastle

Saturday, 26 July 2014, 05:30

Friendly Match

Chelsea launch £7m bid for Ba

Chelsea have lodged a bid of £7m to trigger the release clause in Demba Ba's contract.

Last Updated: 02/01/13 at 20:35 Post Comment

Demba Ba: Newcastle striker's £7m release clause has been met by Chelsea

Demba Ba: Newcastle striker's £7m release clause has been met by Chelsea

Newcastle have given the Blues permission to speak to the striker and he will not be considered for the Magpies' Premier League game with Everton at St James' Park tonight.

Chelsea officials held initial discussions with Ba's representatives earlier this week but were unable to reach an agreement on any potential deal.

The Senegal frontman, who joined Newcastle on a free transfer from West Ham in June 2011, already has 13 goals to his name this season and is being pursued by a number of clubs.

Newcastle released a statement which read: "Newcastle United can confirm Chelsea Football Club has made an official offer for Demba Ba which has triggered the release clause in the player's contract.

"The club has given the player permission to speak to Chelsea FC and therefore he will not be included in the squad for tonight's game with Everton."

Chelsea's interim manager Rafael Benitez is keen to add another striker to his squad to provide competition for Fernando Torres, claiming the club's £50m record signing would have no problem with being used in a rotation system.

Benitez has also been linked with moves for Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao and Bayer Leverkusen's Andre Schurrle.

Meanwhile, Blues forward Daniel Sturridge is closing in on a move to Liverpool and is due to attend their clash with Sunderland at Anfield tonight.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Premier League: Southampton's chairman says Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will stay

Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will remain at Southampton, according to Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger

Transfer News: Reported Manchester United target Arturo Vidal 'happy' to stay at Juventus

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri is convinced Arturo Vidal will remain with the club for the forthcoming season.

Championship: Derby County teenager Mason Bennett signs new contract

Derby County teenager Mason Bennett has committed his future to Derby after signing a new four-year deal with the club

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property