St James' Park, Newcastle

Next Game

Newcastle v M'gladbach

Saturday, 01 August 2015, 15:00

Friendly Match

No Newcastle offer for Bony

Vitesse Arnhem technical director Ted van Leeuwen has denied reports Newcastle have launched a bid for striker Wilfried Bony.

Last Updated: 28/01/13 at 15:47 Post Comment

Wilfried Bony: Yet to attract an offer from Newcastle, says Vitesse chief

Wilfried Bony: Yet to attract an offer from Newcastle, says Vitesse chief

Speculation emerged on Sunday that the Magpies could be set to sign their sixth player of this month's transfer window after making a move for the 24-year-old Ivory Coast international, who has also been linked with Chelsea and Liverpool.

But Vitesse chief Van Leeuwen has dismissed claims Newcastle have submitted an offer for the striker, currently representing his country at the Africa Cup of Nations.

He told Omroep Gelderland of Bony, who has scored 16 goals in 18 Eredivisie games this season: "As far as we know, nothing has happened so far. Or it would have had to have been outside the club. I haven't seen a fax."

Bony is contracted at Vitesse until 2015 but has been heavily linked with a move to a bigger club and could leave the Dutch side with a void to fill should he depart this month.

Leeuwen says the club are looking for reinforcements ahead of Thursday's transfer deadline but admits it is currently a waiting game.

He added: "It's very difficult. The market is tightly shut and top prices are requested.

"Colleagues are also complaining about that. But we are still keeping our eyes open.

"We have to wait on a domino effect. On the other hand we are also bonded by our budget. We can't simply buy. So it could also be nothing will happen."

Footer 365

Arsene Wenger responds to Jose Mourinho taunt

Arsene Wenger has brushed off Jose Mourinho's latest taunts after the Chelsea boss said the Gunners' recent spending may come as "a surprise".

Manuel Pellegrini backs Raheem Sterling to justify price

Manuel Pellegrini insists Raheem Sterling will justify his club-record £49million price tag at Manchester City in the coming years.

Jose Mourinho: Arsenal spending way to title contention

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says Arsene Wenger is buying his way into Premier League title contention.

Mail Box

Di Maria Just Didn't Fit (S**t Happens)

If a signing doesn't work there doesn't have to be a massive witch hunt. So there. Plus a detailed net spend rant, Breel Embolo, computer games and Louis van Gaal...

The Calculator Is On Wenger's Side...

Over the last five years, Arsenal's net spent is about 55% of Chelsea's, so shush your mouth Jose. Plus, Van Gaal is attacked and defended in equal measure...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company