Villa Park

Next Game

A Villa v Newcastle

Saturday, 23 August 2014, 12:45

Barclays Prem

St James' Park, Newcastle

Last Game

Newcastle 0 - 2 Man City

Sunday, 17 August 2014, 16:00

Barclays Prem

Pardew: Coloccini committed

Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini is committed to the club, says manager Alan Pardew.

Last Updated: 10/07/13 at 11:32 Post Comment

Fabricio Coloccini: Asked for a transfer in January

Fabricio Coloccini: Asked for a transfer in January

The 31-year-old central defender looked set to depart St James' Park when he demanded a transfer for personal reasons in January.

However, after a number of close-season conversations between Pardew and his skipper, the Magpies manager has revealed that Coloccini is determined to make a success of this season with the club and earn himself a place in the Argentina squad for next summer's World Cup in Brazil.

"Colo made it very clear in the summer that he is coming back to play this season," Pardew told The Chronicle. "He really has the bit between his teeth.

"He wants to play in the World Cup in Brazil, not to mention Newcastle United's season.

"Me and him have had a lot of discussions about last year and they were very constructive, I have to say.

"He wants to come back, and he wants to lead us. He showed at the back end of last year how important he is to us. When he played, we looked a different team."

Cabaye costly

Meanwhile, Pardew has reiterated his stance that midfielder Yohan Cabaye is not for sale, amidst public interest from Paris Saint-Germain.

But the 51-year-old is realistic enough to know a big bid for the player could prove impossible for the club to turn down.

Pardew told The Journal: "It's a bit difficult for me to talk about Yohan when I haven't seen him because he's still away.

"The internationals are back on the 15th and I'll sit down and talk to him about the comments that have come out.

"The bottom line is, though, he's got a three-year contract with us still to run and I expect him to be a big part of our season next year. Hopefully, he will be.

"He's still very much in my plans, but like any player at any club, there is a price - but it's going to be a very high price."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

O

K FIFA we're done, you can ban us now

jimmyjazz
Barcelona transfer ban upheld

A

h Daniel. I could spend hours on this subject putting the world to rights. You can even take a step back and ask why football fans (and society in general) have this need to know that something will happen before it actually does. There are times this important, when it comes to things like war, food production and natural disasters. A man you've never met changing his job? Not so much.

ajsr1982
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

G

reat article. Hits the nail on the head. Encapsulates why I don't read tabloid newspapers anymore. The only thing worse is the 'told you so first' headline when they get lucky.

ianonabeach
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

Footer 365

Transfer news: AC Milan yet to receive an offer from Liverpool for Mario Balotelli

AC Milan insist they have not received an offer from Liverpool for their controversial striker Mario Balotelli.

Transfer news: Marco Reus said to have turned down move to Manchester United

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has told Onda Cero that Marco Reus rejected a move to Man Utd this summer.

Transfer News: Swansea complete deal for Napoli defender Federico Fernandez

Swansea City have signed defender Federico Fernandez from Napoli for an undisclosed fee.

Mail Box

So Long And Good Luck To Nani

A Mailbox that offers best wishes to a departing hero, defends Olivier Giroud, tells us to steady on over Calum Chambers and makes some amusing predictions...

Mailbox: Feeling Sorry For Poor TC23

If there's one loser in all the machinations at Man United, it's poor TC23. We have mercifully few mails on United, but lots on Arsenal and in particular Olivier Giroud...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property