Luzhniki Stadium

Next Game

CSKA Mosc v Man City

Tuesday, 21 October 2014, 17:00

Champions League Group E

Etihad Stadium

Last Game

Man City 4 - 1 Tottenham

Saturday, 18 October 2014, 12:45

Barclays Prem

Mazzarri fancies Mario test

Napoli head coach Walter Mazzarri described the challenge of working with Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli as "stimulating", amid reports of a possible approach from the Serie A club.

Last Updated: 09/01/13 at 15:12 Post Comment

Mario Balotelli: Being chased by Napoli

Mario Balotelli: Being chased by Napoli

Azzurri president Aurelio De Laurentiis has admitted he would be interested in bringing the unsettled 22-year-old to the San Paolo as a strike partner for Edinson Cavani, or as a possible makeweight should City make a bid for the free-scoring Uruguayan.

AC Milan appeared to distance themselves from a rival approach for the Italy international when president Silvio Berlusconi described Balotelli as a "rotten apple", but Mazzarri is confident he could tame the capricious striker.

Quoted in La Repubblica, he told Radio Monte Carlo: "I do not know him personally. I spoke to him once a few years ago at a hotel in Sorrento.

"He made a good impression on me but only those who know him well can say what kind of problems he might create in training.

"I've got a bit of experience, though, and it would be stimulating to work with a talent like his, but I don't know if that would ever happen."

Azzurri president De Laurentiis had told Gazzetta.it: "Are City considering letting Balotelli go so they can move for Cavani?

"I would prefer to see Balotelli playing with Cavani here at Napoli.

"Teams tend to hold on to their best players in January. You take a big risk making big investments now.

"There is still time for us to bring in new faces but we must be cautious. On January 31 you will see what moves Napoli have made."

Saddened

Milan had previously been mooted as Balotelli's likely destination, with the Rossoneri appearing to free up the necessary funds and space in their squad with the 15million euro sale of Alexandre Pato to Corinthians, but Berlusconi told reporters at the FIFA Ballon d'Or gala in Zurich that any approach was unlikely.

"The name of Balotelli never came into my thoughts, he is a rotten apple and could infect every group where he goes, even Milan," the former Italian prime minister said.

Balotelli's agent Mino Raiola responded through Sport Mediaset, saying: "Mario and I are saddened by what Berlusconi said.

"Berlusconi doesn't know him, everyone who does know him loves him. (Milan vice-president) Adriano Galliani knows him and loves him.

"If someone asks me to introduce Mario to Berlusconi then I will do so with pleasure."

Balotelli has been linked with a move away from the Etihad Stadium following a number of high profile incidents since he arrive in England from Inter Milan.

The latest occurred last Thursday, when he was pictured grappling with City boss Roberto Mancini.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

A

nd let me remind you, the first year City won the Premier League with Augero as their top goalscorer as well as scorer of the decisive goal on the last day of the season, he was pipped to the PFA Young Player Of The Year by.... Kyle Walker.

BlackSpider
Sergio Aguero: The Underrated Genius

W

ait, so now he can get injured when he's not on international duty? It's almost as if his previous injury could've happened at any time and being with the England squad had nothing to do with it.

sailingmagpie
New injury blow for Sturridge

J

ose, you are a man among delicate, sensitive rose petals.

middleoftheshed
'Humble' Jose responds to Roy

Footer 365

Brendan Rodgers defends Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli

Brendan Rodgers has defended Mario Balotelli, saying: "He would have scored if Steven Caulker had not put it in."

Premier League: Late drama as Liverpool edge five-goal contest at QPR

Liverpool left Loftus Road with all three points following a remarkable finish to a meeting with QPR which ended 3-2.

Manchester United: Louis van Gaal has admitted he was 'stupid'

Louis van Gaal has admitted he was "stupid" to ask to be judged after three months at Manchester United.

Mail Box

Quick, What's Happening At Palace?

It looks like we might need to give a bit more coverage to Crystal Palace after one reader compiled the number of mentions for each club on F365. Plus, more complaining...

Of Course The Invincibles Underperformed

That was a bloody daft question according to the morning mailbox. Plus, how much has changed in the decade since Arsenal's Invincibles? And no more goals, hooray!

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property